How does it seem?

macle

Hi,

This is a redo (about the millionth time). Sort of a pop song, kind of a mellow one. This is a different approach than I normally do.

Anyway, how does it seem?

Thanks for any feedback.

Love Is Cool

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you forgot to post the song, or if your talking about the songs in your Sig. Either way I checked your music out through the link in your signature, I really like them :)

But I did notice a pattern in all of the mixes, they all seem like they're missing that nice final touch of brightness. Also the vocals seem a tiny bit dry, not too much.

Jeff

Just gave it a listen.
I really don't want to critique this just because I feel that the mixing REALLY fits the vibe your going for :) sounds good man
Great singing by the way.

How does it seem? Besides what I said at GS I'd say that this shows that one can create quite fine recordings in a home studio. :)

Last edited:
How does it seem? Besides what I said at GS I'd say that this shows that one can create quite fine recordings in a home studio. :)

You must be Myr? That's the closest to XLR.

Anyway, thanks very much for the feedback here and there!

Yeah, dude. Sounds great. Vocals are present and intelligible, drums and bass sound great and fit the style, extra sounds / acoustic guitars are mixed as accents, as they should be, I believe, for this type of music.

Caught myself bobbing my head up and down multiple times while listening. Great job, man.

Thanks for sharing.

Sounds great to me. Great tune, great lyrics, performance, execution, all fine for me. A very nice airy mix. Everything has it's own place.

Top job!

*EDIT* Just listening to some of the other tracks on your site. I especially like The Ledge, great tune. I feel like I've heard it before. Have you posted it here before? Is it a cover? Regardless, it's great tune that one!

This is probably the best track I've listened to on this forum. I get a Beatles-y vibe from your songs. If you really wanted to perfect your songs/sound, I would try to make your songs sound even more vintage, and less polished as they do. That's just something I would personally do.

For love is cool, I would like to see more dynamic changes. There were certain parts where certain sounds and instruments came in that I wish were louder.

(for "love is cool")Overall,I think it came out awesome.It has a mellow fullness to it and the vocals sit very well on top of it all. The genre isnt my cup of tea,but I can definitely appreciate it as a well put together piece. good job and keep em' coming!

Yeah, dude. Sounds great. Vocals are present and intelligible, drums and bass sound great and fit the style, extra sounds / acoustic guitars are mixed as accents, as they should be, I believe, for this type of music.

Caught myself bobbing my head up and down multiple times while listening. Great job, man.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks very much!

Sounds great to me. Great tune, great lyrics, performance, execution, all fine for me. A very nice airy mix. Everything has it's own place.

Top job!

*EDIT* Just listening to some of the other tracks on your site. I especially like The Ledge, great tune. I feel like I've heard it before. Have you posted it here before? Is it a cover? Regardless, it's great tune that one!

It is highly possible I posted The Ledge here awhile ago.

Thanks a lot, really appreciate it!

This is probably the best track I've listened to on this forum.

Wow, thanks!

I get a Beatles-y vibe from your songs. If you really wanted to perfect your songs/sound, I would try to make your songs sound even more vintage, and less polished as they do. That's just something I would personally do.

I'm always torn between trying to be vintage and completely lo-fi and attempting to be modern and slick.

I've recently been studying up on maybe getting an old reel to reel 4-track.

Do you have any ideas on getting a vintagey sound?

For love is cool, I would like to see more dynamic changes. There were certain parts where certain sounds and instruments came in that I wish were louder.

Yeah, I agree. I sort of ran out of time, and forced myself to just be done with it. I've been trying to figure out ways to do things faster because songs end up taking way too long and I get bored and fed up and confused and then end up completely re-doing them (like on this one!).

Right now I'm planning on doing just 3 or 4 instruments at most, and in a much looser fashion. I've done some little tests so far, and it seems like it might work and be faster and maybe even more vintagey.

Thanks very much!

(for "love is cool")Overall,I think it came out awesome.It has a mellow fullness to it and the vocals sit very well on top of it all. The genre isnt my cup of tea,but I can definitely appreciate it as a well put together piece. good job and keep em' coming!

Thanks!

What genre is this, btw? :o :)

That's kind of why I said "how does this seem". I wasn't sure how this was coming off, the song and style and mix and all that.

Wow, thanks!

I'm always torn between trying to be vintage and completely lo-fi and attempting to be modern and slick.

I've recently been studying up on maybe getting an old reel to reel 4-track.

Do you have any ideas on getting a vintagey sound?

Yeah, I agree. I sort of ran out of time, and forced myself to just be done with it. I've been trying to figure out ways to do things faster because songs end up taking way too long and I get bored and fed up and confused and then end up completely re-doing them (like on this one!).

Right now I'm planning on doing just 3 or 4 instruments at most, and in a much looser fashion. I've done some little tests so far, and it seems like it might work and be faster and maybe even more vintagey.

Thanks very much!

I think your songwriting and your voice is great. But you should put more emphasis on the production. Your great songwriting will shine through so you shouldn't be shy to let the instruments take over the song at times. Here's a song that sounds like something you would possibly go for, but note the production of the song. Foxygen - San Francisco (Official Video) - YouTube

I'm not entirely sure what your influences are but you should listen to how some of the songs you listen to are produced. Listen to how they mix and EQ the instruments. If you really want to get more vintage, keep the sound way more in frequency. Keep most of the instruments in the midrange and let out some of the air out in the upper frequencies. Doing this can be hard to achieve because you can end up with a muddy mix. Let your ears do the work though.

I still think even without going more "lo-fi" your songs can get better if you just focus more on being a producer than being a songwriter/vocalist.

Here's a song that sounds like something you would possibly go for, but note the production of the song. Foxygen - San Francisco (Official Video) - YouTube
that was the gay-est song and production I've recently heard, that I could only listen to about 15 seconds of it.

Macle... good stuff. Skip the 4 track reel to reel. It'll just give you headaches and put huge limits on what you're doing now. Remember those guys recording on those machines used top notch machines of the day and were "kings of track bouncing". There are plugs that emulate tape saturation, but honestly why the retro? Your recordings lack the upper air and sheen in most professionally produced recordings nowadays, which in a sense give you that "warm" retro feel. Production won't make a song, but a song will let the production shine. I'd go the latter route, without doubt.

Back