How does diaphragm size/polar pattern relate to mic applications?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first started posting here, there were a lot of questions like, "Which is better, a cardioid or a condenser mic?" Very few people here were talking about omnis. I think that most of the people who frequent home recording have one of two goals:

1. To make better home recordings of their music for possible sale or enjoyment.

2. Maybe start a small commercial studio out of their home, at least, at first.

They're not engineers and most will never learn how all their equipment works at the circuit level. This whole thread was kinda like those big yellow books that read "Computers For Dummies", except it was for people that are pretty sharp and just needed some non-technical explanations of how mics worked.

Right at the start, I pointed out some techie sites, but told people to skip the math if it got confusing. That's where these simpler explanations came in - not perfect, but hopefully close enough to get the concept.

Hopefully, your more detailed explanations will help even more.

does anyone know how i could filter out this thread to ONLY show harvey's posts (no offense to anyone else), its just so many scattered pages!

TragikRemix said:
does anyone know how i could filter out this thread to ONLY show harvey's posts (no offense to anyone else), its just so many scattered pages!

In Harvey's last post, for example, if you put your cursor over his name in the upper left, you should see a pop up that allows you to look at all his posts, and you could go to the ones from this thread.

I hope that helps.

Otto

ofajen said:
In Harvey's last post, for example, if you put your cursor over his name in the upper left, you should see a pop up that allows you to look at all his posts, and you could go to the ones from this thread.

I hope that helps.

Otto

Actually, you have to "click" on harvey's name, then the list of options pops up.

Otto

I am a newbie and am learning a lot from this thread. Thanks to all who post these interesting questions and answers.
Because I am a newbie, I have little to contribute about microphones. But I do know something about acoustic guitars.
When you plan on buying an acoustic guitar, bring a friend with you who plays well. Take turns playing the guitar so that you can hear what it sounds like not just to you while you are playing it (the near field effect), but also to your audience.
Thanks,
Rip

1ply said:
I am a newbie and am learning a lot from this thread. Thanks to all who post these interesting questions and answers.
Because I am a newbie, I have little to contribute about microphones. But I do know something about acoustic guitars.
When you plan on buying an acoustic guitar, bring a friend with you who plays well. Take turns playing the guitar so that you can hear what it sounds like not just to you while you are playing it (the near field effect), but also to your audience.
Thanks,
Rip

Gee...

Thanks...

...I guess. :confused: :rolleyes:

I know Harvey has explained his (admirably altruistic) reasons for not wanting to make all this information available in book form, but could I suggest that it is compiled somewhere in a readable form so that it survives the transience of the internet? Having been on the net for 10 years or more, I am aware of how easily great discussions and information like this can disappear overnight when a forum goes down permanently for whatever reason. And once it's lost, it's gone forever.

That is the one benefit a book has over a forum - it exists in the real world. I think many people would be happy to pay a small sum in order to have permanent access to Harvey's insights. And if they don't want to buy it, then can always get it from a library :)

Just a thought. Thanks to Harvey for his wonderful attitude.

Sadly, that's already happened. At PSW, where I'm a moderator, we had a similar thread to this one about preamps. About a dozen of the top preamp designers took part in it, explaining their philosophies.

When the forum switched servers, the thread was lost forever. It was a summit of preamp designers like: Geoff Tanner, Mark McQuilkin, Dan Kennedy. John LaGrou, John Hardy, Fred Fossell, and many others.

Hasn't this already been compiled? I thought it had. If not, I'll volunteer to edit and compile it as a .pdf, and host anywhere else Harvey deems helpful . . .

I think it has been compiled several times, but most of the links are now broken. The (pdf) version I have been able to get (from a link of Harvey's in this thread I believe) is a bit out of date and so incomplete, but much better than nothing.

The loss of that preamp discussion is a real shame, and the biggest downside of database driven sites. Someone needs to come up with software that easily and accurately compiles forum discussions into editable documents (maintaining the posted pictures). The first person who does that in my industry (games) will make a fortune. Wiki/forum -> decently formated document is surprisingly difficult to pull off.

Thanks for the responses though, and back to lurking I go.

Hi, This post of mine is very beneficial and informative, however there are some specific facts or information that I require. If anyone can help me in this matter then please send me a private message. Best Regards,

Hi, This post of mine is very beneficial and informative, however there are some specific facts or information that I require. If anyone can help me in this matter then please send me a private message. Best Regards,

What an interesting spot to place a spam post. Just look at the links.

Hasn't this already been compiled? I thought it had. If not, I'll volunteer to edit and compile it as a .pdf, and host anywhere else Harvey deems helpful . . .
Yes, please! I need to re-read this again (and then probably again), and a compiled/edited word doc or pdf would be awesome!

My brain totally hurts from this thread... TOO much awesome info!

You are DA MAN harvey! Thanks for sharing your abundant knowledge with us.

First time poster here - I found this place on a slow Friday on the job, killing time before I left for home doing a google search for tips on different ways to mic up a guitar amp.

I ended up staying late, and then coming back for the next couple days to keep reading. This stuff is an absolutely amazing gold mine of information. Chris, thanks for asking this question, and Harvey, a HUGE thank you for your encyclopedic response. This is simply one of the most informative, comprehensive reads I've ever found on the subject of how to match a microphone up to a particular application.

I'll admit to being something of a novice to audio engineering - I can get acceptable guitar tones on disc, but that's the limit of my abilities - but I have a feeling that if I keep plugging away here (I'm only about 18 pages in), and then spend some serious time trying to apply what I've read here, I'll be an infinitely better engineer/mixer for it. Seriously, Harvey, if you weren't kidding with your mailing address there, let me know and I'll send you a decent bottle of bourbon or something.

Thank you SO much for taking the time to respond to all of these questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back