How does diaphragm size/polar pattern relate to mic applications?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We bow to you, wise one :)

Hi everyone

I am a real newcomer to this messageboard and only just stumbled on this incredibly informative thread.
Instead of working I have spent the day copying and pasting into a word document 53 pages (size 10 text) of stuff I am now going to have to digest over the next couple of months. :)

Harvey, thank you for sharing your knowledge with us. As a kind of middle of the road home studio owner and recording engineer, I try to read and learn as much as I can about techniques from wherever I can get it. I am always trying to find sources of information in order to try to improve my techniques, expand my knowldege and to help out others who are still learning.

I think I'll just direct them here from now on. :D

This thread holds more information than I have read in some sound reinforcement books!

Thanks, Harvey, and to everyone who has contributed to this thread.

Now, I'd better get home before I miss out on dinner ;)

Dags

Hi guys. I just joined this site and have been lurking and reading. I read way back on post #57...remember that far back? Chris F mentioned Lynne Arriale and that set me back a bit. I was her gardener for a few months in the spring/summer of 04 till my health put a stop to it. She is a nice lady...not that this has anything to do with mics, SHe did have a nice studio of her own here in Brown County Indiana.

Harvey, like many others I want to thank you for sharing your knowledge.
You may be interested to know that I'm drawing on it over here in South Korea, to train some aspiring high school students.
Thanks again.

Harvey this thread was extremely illuminating. Just when you think you have your bases covered on a topic it is refreshing to see that there is ALWAYS more to learn.

Good health and Happy Holidays to you. This thread was a great Christmas gift, thank you!

Harvey great thread! How much do you think the differance between the sound of digital and the sound of Analog has made in the choices of which mics you would use.
Could it be that some of the cheaper mics would hold up better today if all of the recording was done in the analog world instead of the digital
world? And same relation between the preamps of today being so clean.
I hope that makes sense what Im trying to get at.

I think digital recording has turned out to be a double-edged sword, eliminating some problems, while creating others. Sonically, I still prefer the best of what analog has to offer, but there's no arguing that digital is better for manipulation, and lower costs. Like living with MP3's, we'll simply learn to accept the lower quality for convenience sake.

Hey im not too experianced so i dont get too much but i was monotoring this Thread for a while and i can find your information very helpfull, Harvey

Harvey,
I'm working my way through this thread from the beginning and I wanted to say thank you. I understand so much more and I feel like a better person after reading so much. I was wondering if the pictures from the beginning (drawings and such) are still around, they only show up as little x's.
Thanks!
Joseph Campbell

JosephCampbell said:
Harvey,
I'm working my way through this thread from the beginning and I wanted to say thank you. I understand so much more and I feel like a better person after reading so much. I was wondering if the pictures from the beginning (drawings and such) are still around, they only show up as little x's.
Thanks!
Joseph Campbell
Most of the pictures I created for this thread are still around on my computer, but I can't edit my old posts in this thread, so I can't import them back into those posts. There are also some minor errors I'd like to correct, but it seems we'll just hafta live with it as is.

Just wanted to pop in and say I enjoyed the article in the January '06 ProSound news!....Way to go Harvey & Alex!! :D :D (cool pic too!)

i know its been said so much already, but I greatly appreciate this information.

I've spent my friday night reading this thread, and I feel my production skills have increased exponentially(just by reading/thinking), w/o even having a chance to apply the knowledge to practice.

Harvey Gerst is now one of my heroes.

I have experimented using two C1000 sd condensers and a AKG bass drum mic at the bass end of an upright piano, it worked very well, I've used a similar technique using a AKG bass drum mic on a cello for some Da Da/Friedrich Trautwein/klaus schultze type university band. The track lasted for 40 minutes and they insisted on sound checking it twice, meaning I had to listen to this fuckin' noise for two hours the track was called Experiment E but I called it Preperation H, but I digress. Don't be afraid to experiment. :)

Technique/Content

I've read this entire thread and have learned alot. Infinite thanks to Harvey! But one question still remains unanswered to me.
Can great content win out over sub-par recording technique
in your opinion, or not?

superbeatballer said:
I've read this entire thread and have learned alot. Infinite thanks to Harvey! But one question still remains unanswered to me.
in your opinion, or not?

Yes, absolutely. Good music will beat good recording every time. Crap, recorded well, will still sound like crap, just recorded well.

superbeatballer said:
in your opinion, or not?

Should I paint my own car?
Should I make my own suits?

A good recording is just a tool that is used BY musicians to let their artistic goals be realized. A crappy recording always sucks. Listen to some Beatles home demos to hear what a crappy recording sounds like.

Great content can be overflowing to the max, but if the recording sucks no one will care or listen. One major reason why pro commercial studios exist.

Everyone in any job CAN be an artist. It is one reason why great people in any profession remain very busy while others with similar credentials remain unemployed. I trust that we can end this "great musicians make great recordings" nonsense. Great musicians along with great producers along with great recording engineers make great recordings and I defy anyone to prove me wrong.

One missing link means a missed opportunity and lord knows music history is loaded with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back