How does diaphragm size/polar pattern relate to mic applications?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hot Damn!

OK, I may not have it exactly right, but it sure is fun! Here's what I did:

GT 5sm in figure 8 into Art MP Channel 1
1/4" out to Track 1 in Cubase
XLR out to Art MP Channel 2 with phase reversed
1/4" out to Track 2 in Cubase
C1 in the center into Track 3 in Cubase

Set levels on the MP so that they are identical (which was quite a game), set levels equally into the computer...test in mono- yup the sides pretty much disappear.

Play some Tom Petty-ish stuff from the center position. (Feel like an idiot...) Sounded like doo doo in the cans.

Back in Cubase, panned 1 & 2 hard left and right. Left 3 dead center. Left all levels where they were- roughly equal. Pressed play...

WHOA!!!!! That's some W___I____D____E stereo! And loud as heck. OK, hit the mono switch to see what it does....

:( Drops about 12dB. Is it supposed to do that?

Hmmm...reread Harvey's post several times.

I fiddled with the levels and found that if I keep the side channels lower (about -15dB) I can still get a nice full stereo image that isn't too affected when I sum to mono (and doesn't sound too much like my...ah..."studio" room). I'm not entirely sure what's going on, or even whether I have it right or wrong...

When I mute the center and have the sides panned out I get a really yucky, quiet, thin stereo. I was expecting it to cancel out alomst completely. If I then hit the mono switch it *almost* disappears- there is only a tiny bit left- proabably the inconsistencies in the two signal chains. The meters say it peaks at -22dB but I can hardly hear it.

When I bring the center back the stereo effect is much more noticeable than the tinny sides by themselves so I think its working the way it should, but I don't really have perfect mono compatibility because of my half-arsed signal chaining rig.

I wonder if:

- The figure 8 pattern on the GT isn't tight enough.
- My funky signal chain is causing this volume change in mono.
- It would work better recording more than one instrument.
- I somehow got it perfect and this is normal. (Not likely....)

Yehaw! Another fun evening courtesy of Harvey Gerst. Someday I might even understand some of what I'm doing. ;)

Chris

Another amazing post, Harvey - thank you so much! I think I got a leeetle bit closer to understanding it this time... No, seriously, I got it.

A few questions, though:

What are the pros and cons of using the technique you describe above compared with using a matrix box or a preamp that can function as one (such as Joemeek VC7)? If you do the latter, can you control the amount of stereo spread after having recorded it, or are you stuck with the relative levels of the M and S mics?

If you connect a mic to a Y-cable, will it perform as well as it would with just one cable?

Also, what are your opinions on the different ribbon mics mention? Any recommendations?

Thanks again!

/Henrik

The matrix box means not having to make up special cables or worry about matching stuff. It just makes life a little easier.

Any good ribbon or figure 8 mic should do a pretty good job. The Coles 4038 is avery good choice and many people like the AKG C414 for M/S. The stereo spread is determined by the level of the M mic relative to the S signal.

Harvey
Pardon the interruption of this thread,as I couldnt get access to your email to send this privately.This weekend I transferred from cassette to CD some music from my brother's signed band circa 77.It turns out he also has a clone of the 1/2 inch two track master stored tail out all these years.Do you have a 1/2" 2 track machine?The material is 12 tunes running about 50 minutes.Would two or three hours studio time be enough to transfer this to CD?We are in Ft Worth,so it would be an easy drive up to Sanger.He is afraid of the magnetic oxide coating peeling off the mylar after all these years.Is this idea foolish or perhaps workable?
Tom

Although my post here is quite late i would also like to thank Harvey Gerst and all else who so willing gave of themselves so others could benefit and learn from their great wealth of knowledge and experiences

money dont buy this sort of knowledge.

I am forever greatfull i read this whole thread and what i have learnt from this wonderfull effort has covered many things i may have wanted to know and or things i may have asked in the past that i felt may have only been half answered.

Is there anyway such a work like this could be placed alongside