How do you route your Mackie 1202-VLZ Pro?

Skycries57

This is basically what I have and have not figured out the BEST way to route it. How do you guys route yours?
The recording software I have is the Sonar 4 Studio Edition. Thanks for all the input!

Mackie 1202-VLZ Pro mixer
Audiophile 2496 soundcard
MAudio Active monitors

Boss 770 Drum Machine
Fender Strat/Taylor 510CE
67' Fender Deluxe Reverb
Sure SM57
Yamaha P250 Digital Keyboard

Athlon XP 1.8
512 DDR 2700 ram
80 gig hardrive
windows XP Pr

Skycries57 said:
This is basically what I have and have not figured out the BEST way to route it. How do you guys route yours?
The recording software I have is the Sonar 4 Studio Edition. Thanks for all the input!

Pretty much any way you want to route it.
I don't own the 1202 VLZ but own the 1402 VLZ and I have let's see

4- Main OUTs
2- CR OUTs
4- AUX OUTs
2- Tape OUTs
6- Inserts for channels 1-6 (one each)

For the exception of perhaps the CR OUTs I could route from my mixer to my soundcard from any of the other OUTs. I would suggest, that you download the 1202 VLZ manual from Mackie (printed out on paper) and take your time to read it cover to cover if you haven't already.
The manual really has a lot of information on routing, and how you could use your mixer for live mixes, recording mixes, mixdowns, and how the signals are routed.

I currently have my Monitors connected to the CR OUTs, I'm going out of channel 3 Insert to my Soundcard, and I'm returning to the return on my mixer to listen to the playback.

if I were you I plugged my SM57 between channel 1-4, My Strat & Drum Machine to any of the Stereo Channels 5-12, and the Reverb machine patch from the AUX 1 to the Reverb back to AUX 1 Return. I don't know anything about your Keyboard but I suppose you get the idea.

> How do you guys route yours? <

As Dracon said, the key is to use the mixer's direct outputs to feed your sound card. See "Using a Mixer with a DAW," first in the list on my Articles page:

www.ethanwiner.com/articles.html

It explains exactly what you need in much greater detail.

--Ethan

I set up my mixer exactly how they have it on their website but I still have the one main problem, upon recording my drum machine on track 1, then playback to record guitar on track 2, then play back track 2 in solo mode, it seems that track 2 recording recorded track 1 "on top" of its self, nothing like a bleed through but more like a straight "double recording".
My monitor does not have a mic built in nor are my monitors turned on, I use headphones to try to figure out this issue.

I plug my guitar straight into input 1 of the mixer. I honestly believe the problem either lies in the routing of the mixer or Sonar 4 Studio.

Some guys say its in windows "volume" menu, well I do acess to that but it seems to be disabled somewhat due to I use the Audiophile 2496 sound cards software,etc.

Please help, its driving me crazy!

PS: Prior to Sonar 4 Studio, I had 2.2XL Sonar and it worked fine til I installed sonar 4.

Thankyou for your valuable advice. !

> I set up my mixer exactly how they have it on their website but I still have the one main problem <

Read my EQ magazine article again, a few times if need be. If you set things up as exactly described in the article you won't have that problem.

--Ethan

Skycries57 said:
I set up my mixer exactly how they have it on their website but I still have the one main problem, upon recording my drum machine on track 1, then playback to record guitar on track 2, then play back track 2 in solo mode, it seems that track 2 recording recorded track 1 "on top" of its self, nothing like a bleed through but more like a straight "double recording".
My monitor does not have a mic built in nor are my monitors turned on, I use headphones to try to figure out this issue.

I plug my guitar straight into input 1 of the mixer. I honestly believe the problem either lies in the routing of the mixer or Sonar 4 Studio.

Some guys say its in windows "volume" menu, well I do acess to that but it seems to be disabled somewhat due to I use the Audiophile 2496 sound cards software,etc.

Please help, its driving me crazy!

PS: Prior to Sonar 4 Studio, I had 2.2XL Sonar and it worked fine til I installed sonar 4.

Thankyou for your valuable advice. !

Here is what happened. When you send the signal back to the Mackie and to record the drums, you had it routed so that the playback was going back into your main mix.

There are several things you can do for this not to happen (i'm only going to give you two). FYI the Mackie Manual (if you don't have it got the www.mackie.com and download it on PDF) will explain how to do this.

1. You can send the the playback to a stereo channel (5-12) and patch the channel to the Mute/Alt 3-4. You also patch the channel of the drum machine to the Mute/Alt 3-4 and plug your monitors to the Alt 3-4 Out (so you can hear what's going on). However send your drum machine to channels 1-4 and and out put to your soundcard through the Insert (ensure to use a 1/4" TS to the first click not all the way in).

2. Do the same as above but instead go from your CR-OUT to your Monitors and engage the Mute/Alt 3-4 button.

Now I'm not familiar with the 1202 VLZ so it may not have the Mute/Alt 3-4 button feature. (I just checked at Mackie and you do have that feature).

Again, please read the Mackie Manual (seriously) it has a lot of information that you need to know. It will help you in knowing how you can or want to patch signals through your 1202.
Here is the link http://www.mackie.com/pdf/1202vlzpro_om.pdf (I suggest you print it out - That's what I did).
Also here is a manual from Mackie that shows you (in visual format) different set-up you can do based on what equipement you have. http://www.mackie.com/pdf/vlzproseries_hu.pdf

However, if you figure out how to route your signal with the hook-up manual please still read the Manual for the Mixer. It has very, very, very important information about Gain, outputs, and returns that you need to know in order to use your mixer.

Good Luck.

By the way, I forgot to tell you that it's not your Sonar but how you were feeding your signal back to the mixer and back again to your computer.

Back