How do we know?

Rant on.....

An abstact thought cos it's Friday and I'm bored.....

I consider myself to be a muso I'm sitting here surrounded by musical instruments of all types but, I've never heard a proper grand piano or a stradivarios or a bassoon or a cajun banjo... just some random examples that made me think - we are striving often to achieve the natural sound of our recordings and impart that sound in the most natural way to a bunch of people whose only references are what they have heard on CD, can you see where I'm going here?

I'm not saying we are the keepers of the "true sound" but most people that listen to our music probably have never heard a 64 fender strat through a blackface with greenbacks and russian submarine valves, jus' sayin'.

Who are we trying to kid?

Rant off.....

I make music because I think it's fun, and I want to do the best job I can at it. I don't make it for the sake of other people.

Agreed, I hope that's all of our motivation - I think tho sometimes, we get caught up with the authenticity of the sound when few of us have heard the authentic original sound...

I don't have any idea what true sound is :)

I just want to rock

DE3.jpg

:D

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm chocolate donuts.
I'm sitting here thinking that bruiser would simply be better off playing the instruments he is surrounded by rather than worrying about all that true to sound shit.

BTW, I ate a chocolate donut this morning and it never occurred to me to compare that donut to any other chocolate donuts I've ever eaten.

I'm sitting here thinking that bruiser would simply be better off playing the instruments he is surrounded by rather than worrying about all that true to sound shit.

BTW, I ate a chocolate donut this morning and it never occurred to me to compare that donut to any other chocolate donuts I've ever eaten.

I'm in search of that elusive magical chocolate donut Randy.

Rant on.....

An abstact thought cos it's Friday and I'm bored.....

I consider myself to be a muso I'm sitting here surrounded by musical instruments of all types but, I've never heard a proper grand piano or a stradivarios or a bassoon or a cajun banjo... just some random examples that made me think - we are striving often to achieve the natural sound of our recordings and impart that sound in the most natural way to a bunch of people whose only references are what they have heard on CD, can you see where I'm going here?

I'm not saying we are the keepers of the "true sound" but most people that listen to our music probably have never heard a 64 fender strat through a blackface with greenbacks and russian submarine valves, jus' sayin'.

Who are we trying to kid?

Rant off.....

+ 1 ................ stay frostie

I would like to hear my acoustic guitar, played by me, without being routed via microphones / DAW....

Alas...

How do we know? Well...knowledge is something you have to aquire. The best way to aquire this particular knowledge is to listen to the relevant instruments. Concerts tend to have facilities for you to do this.

I'm sitting here surrounded by musical instruments of all types but, I've never heard a proper grand piano or a stradivarios or a bassoon or a cajun banjo... just some random examples that made me think - we are striving often to achieve the natural sound of our recordings and impart that sound in the most natural way to a bunch of people whose only references are what they have heard on CD, can you see where I'm going here?
Not in the slightest particular !

There is nothing natural about the sound of an electric guitar heard in person or on a CD. Same for any musical instrument made by man. They are all completely 100% artificial.

Except that we are a product of Nature, so everything we do is completely 100% natural.

There is no intermediate position, but you can switch from one viewpoint to the other as needed.

Back