How do I route the signal inside protools to external effects units?

Ericv

So I have an old Lexicon MX100 it has a Spidf out on it - though I don't have a cable for it yet. I have been trying to figure out how to hook it up and use the effects on the lexicon on tracks in Protools. I can't seem to "Send" the signal to the lexicon - hooked up to the DI input 1 on the
MBox2. I haven't even tried to "Return" the signal. I am going to get a Spidf cable so maybe that will help. I guess my question is how do I route the signal inside protools to outboard gear? How do I send the signal, do I use an Aux track to return the signal? I have successfully figured out how to create an effects loop with internal plugins but not this.

Thanks for your help,

E

Last edited:
Well I kinda got this to work, I unpluged my monitors and used those outs to the In of the Lexicon then out of the lexicon to the Input 1 on the Mbox2. I then Solo the track I wanted to record and recorded it with reverb from the Lexicon. There has to be a better way to do it than this? Oh and the Spidf In/Out never did work even when I changed the internal clock.

Well I kinda got this to work, I unpluged my monitors and used those outs to the In of the Lexicon then out of the lexicon to the Input 1 on the Mbox2. I then Solo the track I wanted to record and recorded it with reverb from the Lexicon. There has to be a better way to do it than this? Oh and the Spidf In/Out never did work even when I changed the internal clock.

I was JUST thinking about this today.

What you could try (assuming the track is mono, if it's stereo, just send it through a stereo bus/aux track):

1. Put a send on your dry audio track (ie: bus 1)

2. Create an mono aux track with the input set to bus 1.

3. Set the output of the aux track to s/pdif out 1 (or something along those lines).

4. Your reverb unit should be picking up the signal.

5. Take the s/pdif out of the reverb unit and plug it into the s/pdif input on the mbox.

6. Create a stereo aux track, and set the input to s/pdif 1+2.

7. Your reverb should be coming back in on the stereo aux track.

Now, this is just the solution I worked out in my head, I have absolutely no
idea if this will work but give it a try! Let me know how you get on

I can't remember where I read it (I think somewhere on tweaks page) but you should try to minimize AD/DA conversions as much as possible, which is why VST plug ins are so funtastic ;)

What FX processor are you wanting to run it through?

I can't remember where I read it (I think somewhere on tweaks page) but you should try to minimize AD/DA conversions as much as possible

This is true. But a good external reverb unit like a PCM90 + AD conversion (tracking) + DA (send) + AD (return) will probably sound a hell of a lot better than most plugins in my opinion.

I'm no expert or anything, and I can't really hear "the analog sound" as much as other people do, but from using plug-ins and outboard processors for reverbs, I can tell you that the outboards definitely sound nicer.

Thanks I am going to try some of these ideas. I also am going to see if I can make it an insert. The Lexicon MPX100 doesn't have a Spidf in just an out so its going to take some tweeking. I don't have a lot of plugins and I don't have a lot of extra cash to buy some so getting the Lexicon to work would save me some cash until I can buy plugs. Plus I have a older PC and it has fits if I get plugin happy so the Outboard gear should help that issue a little bit.

I will keep everyone posted.

E

Back