How do I correct timing issues on instrument tracks?

RawDepth

I have a guitar player who has poor rhythm. He speeds up and slows down in a subtle way, even when playing with a click track and other instruments. It ends up making the song sound sloppy.

If I buy the newest version of AA, does it have a way to correct timing? (I am using version 2.0 right now and don't see a way to do this.) I've heard that other DAW software can stretch or adjust a track in different places to place chords exactly on the downbeat.

Thanks for any help.

I use the Elastique Pro - Time algorithm in Cubase to drag notes around all the time. Reaper has the same functionality (the same algorithm, indeed) available, I believe.

I can't tell that it's been processed when I hear it back (others may have more trained ears than me), but I think the more you stretch something, the greater the artifacts.

Presumably, other DAWs can do similar - I don't know what AA is?

I use the Elastique Pro - Time algorithm in Cubase to drag notes around all the time. Reaper has the same functionality (the same algorithm, indeed) available, I believe.

I can't tell that it's been processed when I hear it back (others may have more trained ears than me), but I think the more you stretch something, the greater the artifacts.

Presumably, other DAWs can do similar - I don't know what AA is?

Lol, now I see which forum this is in I can hazard a guess at what AA is! Still can't help with that particular software though, I'm afraid.

The most recent version of AA (CS6) has a feature known as a "Speech Alignment Tool" which is primarily for the automatic moving/retiming of video dialogue when you're doing dialogue replacement. However, some of us have been experimenting with using this on music as well in situations like you describe. Results vary from extremely good to practically not there, depending on the material. However, for this to work you need some kind of reference track for the software to sync with.

Failing that, there's nothing automatic in Audition, just their usual Time and Pitch tools which you'd have to use very laboriously to manually move each bit.

There's a 28 day free trial of CS6--it might be worth trying it and seeing what you can do.

Back