How can I lower the actioin of my fender precision bass?

bobbo

My old fender p bass seems to need a tune up of sorts. I'm wanting to lower the action a little. I've lowered the saddle or those string holder things all the way they can go, but they seem to still be too high. I was wondering if I should attempt adjusting the neck or if it would be a better idea for me to bring it in to have it done by someone who might know what they are doing. I've never done this before. Thanks.

bobbo said:
My old fender p bass seems to need a tune up of sorts. I'm wanting to lower the action a little. I've lowered the saddle or those string holder things all the way they can go, but they seem to still be too high. I was wondering if I should attempt adjusting the neck or if it would be a better idea for me to bring it in to have it done by someone who might know what they are doing. I've never done this before. Thanks.

Ya, sounds like your neck is bowed, in my opinion if you can find the right tool to adjust it it might be worth a try, just start in small increments. If you take it to someone to professionally do it for you, don't pay much. In fact any know it all at a music store might be gald to take a minute to make the adjustment for you right there. Hope this helps.

clif

Tightening of the neck's truss rod will draw the neck back,...

which would have an effect of lowering the action. If your saddle's adjusted all the way down, then you're obliged to adjust the neck to bring the action down further.

Tighening of the truss rod brings the neck back, and loosening of the truss rod allows the neck to slope forward under string tension.

Technically, you'd want to adjust the truss rod until the neck is straight, and if the neck's straight, hopefully it has an acceptable action. Otherwise, keep adjusting to the desired height, to a height that's low but just above fret buzz.

Thanks clifchamb and A Reel Person,
I would like to do it myself so I know how to do it. In order to adjust the neck back, do I have to loosen the screws in back of where the neck attaches to the body? I believe there are four screws. And then to bring the neck back, do I loosen it by turning the truss rod counterclockwise or clockwise? I would imagine it would be counterclockwise.

bobbo said:
Thanks clifchamb and A Reel Person,
I would like to do it myself so I know how to do it. In order to adjust the neck back, do I have to loosen the screws in back of where the neck attaches to the body? I believe there are four screws. And then to bring the neck back, do I loosen it by turning the truss rod counterclockwise or clockwise? I would imagine it would be counterclockwise.

No, do not loosen the 4 screws. Just turn the truss rod one quarter turn to start I just dont remember which way.

clif

typically, clockwise will tighten the truss rod, which will pull the neck back, which is what most people want when dealing with a tension-bowed neck.

Back