How can I listen through the headphones when recording?

charlottetat

Hi,

How can I listen to the click track and the rest of the tracks through headphones whilst recording in a program such as logic using a behringer desk?

I just keep getting the click out of the moniters!

Cheers.

What audio interface do you use (soundcard)? Some have a phones jack built in, many don't.

Do you use the Behringer as your front end? That is, do you plug your mics and instruments into it before recording into your computer?

I have 1/4" outs on my soundcard, that I plug into a small Behringer mixer. From there I go to my monitors, and also heaphones. Unfortunately, using this setup, I have to physically shut the monitors off to get only a headphone signal, because the volume of the phones is controlled by both the Phones knob, and the Master Volume. You may have a similar problem if you are using your mixer for monitoring purposes.

My soundcard is an audiophile 2496 and yeah, I'm plugging my mics straight into the Behringer, it's a eurorack UB1832FX - pro. So what do you suggest I do?

Is this the best thing to do? I've literally been recording for a day so any tips would be greatly appreciated.

hi,

I have a 6 channel behringer that has rca connectors for in's and out's to my audigy 2 zs.

headphones are controlled by "control room" pot along with my monitors which are fostex pm .05's. when recording, it makes sense to turn the levels down on the back of the fostex monitors so there is no bleed into the mic. however on playback, the headphones are much loader then the monitors and have to be unplugged if you want to crank it up.

this could be fixed by using a more feature packed mixer. I put a level control on my pro 4 headphones to avoid the sudden shock of forgetting to turn the mixer levels down.

I don't consider this too be much of a liability but still an annoyance. would be nice to have seperate levels on the mixer for control room and headphones.

I have an 8 channel behringer next in the line when I need a drum mix and have considered using this in place of the 6 channel but have not gotten into this project yet. I don't think it would change a thing in respect to headphones though.

one thing you might try that I often do is to turn your monitors off completly and then route main out to your house system. with my mixer, I can then record with the headphones and then listen to the recording played back through either the band's jbl system or the headphones at the push of a few buttons on the behringer mixer.

hope this helps you!

cheers,
baba

Last edited:
cool someone else in Leeds! whereabout are you then - i'm on the northside up horsforth way.

i take the main pair out of the mixer into the soundcard, return the stereo pair out of the card into a stereo and on the desk and send it to the other buss (on mine it's called submix or group) you can then take a pair out of the back to speakers, and plug your headphones straight into the board. there are switches to choose what's in your phones - choose submix/group 3-4/whatever but not 'main'. that way all you get in the phones is the stereo output from your computer.

have fun and keep coming back!

..wouldn't it be a lot easier if monitors had stereo outs for headphones, just like hi-fi systems or even some computer speakers have, so when you plug in a set of headphones into your monitors, the signal is automatically routed to the phones?

yeah for during mixing it could save time but it wouldn't help much for tracking, especially when you need more than one set of phones!

Back