hot for teacher?!

mm2k5

does anyone know how to play this live....i know the studio version is like dubbed..but i know there has to be a good way to get it live. Please help!!! the guitar player said he would buy me a case of beer if i got the song down b4 he did, so this is kinda a life of death thing. LOL. But for real i have some upcoming shows and wanna bust ass learning it. THANKS

I don't have the song handy to listen to, but if I remember correctly, the patern is triplets on the bass drums which sounds kind of like a Harley engine oscilating at a high idle.

I play single Bass, so here's my trick to create that beat with a single bass drum. Assume a triplet can be spoken

tri - pel - et

or

tri-pel-et-tri-pel-et-tri-pel-et-tri-pel-et (four of them in a measure)

in time. By doing the "tri-pel" on the floor tom, and "-et" on the bass, then the "tri" on the snare for the upbeat of two -el- on the floor tom, and -et on the bass (rinse and repeat).

tri-pel-et-sni-pel-et-tri-pel-et-sni-pel-et (where sni is the snare)
1 2 3 4

or half time of that feel would be

tri-pel-et-tri-pel-et-tri-pel-et-sni-pel-et-tri-pel-et-tri-pel-et-tri-pel-et-sni-pel-et

If you've got two bass drum pedals then maintian triplets on them, and swing the ride, with up beat snare hits.

The ride pattern is like:
R R R R R R R R
tri-pel-et-sni-pel-et-tri-pel-et-sni-pel-et
1 2 3 4

(remember the feel is swung on the ride cymbal)

That probably makes no sense at all, but that's how I'd explain it. Then add the crashes, and some fat triplet fills, and viola you've mastered the entire song in 5 minutes or less!

Oh yeah, and if that helps you at all, you should send me a beer out of your case!

I have played that song many times. With a double kick pedal, it's quite easy. Just a swift right/left/snare, no sweat.

i think the very beginning is (supposedly) the tailpipe of eddies maserati recorded and slowed down. don't know if it's true but makes a good story i guess. when the drums kick in it's an easy double bass beat.

I read that he's just playing double bass dubbed over a previous double bass take.

I don't have samples of me playing it, but you can go to
and hear it performed by Hot For Teacher, a very impressive Van Halen cover band.

No matter if it's delay or a tail pipe, it is still quite easy to play with a double-kcik pedal. It's a simple gallop (sp) pattern. Depending on how long you have been playing and how good you are, the only tricky parts are the fills.

well i think of myself as being pretty good....been playing for only 4 years...spent 3 years learning like how to play mostly everything bookwise....and the other year i just started jamming with my band...and i can play fast ass with my right foot...and even left for that matter...i just dont have a double pedal, lol

I read in an article that it's actually tom rolls, you can hear a stick hitting the rim. Modern drummer did a whole thing on it, see if you can download the article or find someone who still has it.

i think the very beginning is (supposedly) the tailpipe of eddies maserati recorded and slowed down.

Probably right, just listening to it, I always thought it was a motorcycle of some kind.

I seen a drummer play it dead nuts on. Double kick and if you listen, it's not straight triplets either. There's alot of syncopation. There are also tom hits in there as well.

There's no car in the recording, Maserati or otherwise. :) I can't play it, but I know people who can. The bass is a little ba-dum, ba-dum, ba-dum gallop and he played some syncopated tom stuff on top of it.

Real drums, real talent, no delay or over-dubs.

By the way I hope the tone of thos post isn't too snotty, cause it's my official hello (first post). I'm a drummer and a CEP/Audition user.

Glad to have found you all.
n.

In case you guys haven't got it already, download the PACEMAKER 1.32 PLUG-IN for Winamp. You can slow stuff down to pick up the riffs while maintaining the pitch of the song. Very handy! You can slow down the Hot For Teacher drums like a muther!

http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=12689

Run the EXE file and then go into the OPTIONS/PREFERENCES in Winamp.

Then select DSP EFFECT to get it running in Winamp.

Hope this helps! I helped me! Now if I can only get my Delta 1010LT card to do something more than take up a card slot, I'd be a happy man!

Back