Horizons

Tom Hicks

Here's the first piece finished with my new Alesis HD24. Yamaha G60A classical w/Saverez strings (the wrapped G type) through Rode NT1, through the board into the HD24. I FTPd the best take to my PC and used PSP vintage warmer for compression and true verb for a little sheen.

comments appreciated.
Horizons arranged by Steve Hackett of Genesis from the prelude to the Bach cello suite in G.

Last edited:
Great playing! I love genesis, but there seems to be a lot of noise in the background, might be your computer, and there seems to be some acoustic problemes in your room.

Try placing soom fiberglass (703) around yourself when you are recording.

Great tune dude!

Sounds a bit bassy. could be your room or how you recorded it.
Yeah there is far too much noise. Might be something to do with your chain, cables, compressor, pre amp. Sounds good apart from that though.

Supercreep said:
Nice work, Tom!

Damn, I wish I could play like that.

-Casey

Thank you Casey!
I really like the way the Savarez strings (French! oh no! :D ) with the wound G sound. But unfortunately I have no fingernails to speak of, so the usual brilliance and top end expected on classical guitar is absent. But since I mostly play electric rock guitar, I can't justify wearing my nails long enough to be "proper" on classical.

dude that is wayyyyyyyyyy slow :D

neat arrangement though.

yea, as said above the room bites, and i can hear you shift your but.
high noise floor (cpu fan?)

i'd use less compression for a classical piece, it's ok to be dynamic for things like that. (and that may help the noise floor thing a little)

that's a nice sounding guitar, the seasoned pickin is resfreshing... :)

the harmonics came thru a bit more pristine after gently rolling off at 170-down.

giraffe said:
dude that is wayyyyyyyyyy slow :D

neat arrangement though.

yea, as said above the room bites, and i can hear you shift your but.
high noise floor (cpu fan?)

i'd use less compression for a classical piece, it's ok to be dynamic for things like that. (and that may help the noise floor thing a little)

I was thinking the same thing about the tempo. You can hear the tone of the guitar is excellent though, but it's not being entirely realised. The sound of the room is squabbling with the guitar somehow...

If memory serves me, it's actually a fairly close representation of the original recording, which isn't a great recording to begin with!

All that said, anyone that plays Steve Hackett tunes is a friend of mine.

I'd just like to say a collective "thanks" to all who post here and remind me how bad I suck :o :(

Worth the wait, even on dial-up.
I'll now agree with everything you say in the cave... :rolleyes:

Many thanks all for the kind words of advice and encouragement. Its been a long time since I played anything classical style. My brother Mark is a huge Genesis fan though and this was tracked at his suggestion.

Thanks again to all who listened and offered suggestions.

Beautiful playing Tom. I hadn't heard Horizons before... I think it turns that opening passage from the 1st cello suite into a very pretty tune.

Tim

Back