Horible distortion only at first reboots-ASIO

Starstreams

Any ideas what this could be from?
Every time I re-boot Windows Xp and Load Logic 5.5.1 and assign a microphone (sm57) to a channel I get this horrible distortion. It is not latency, it is raw distortion.
Note: that this is easily fixed by going into Logic’s hardware driver 2 tab and resetting the ASIO driver. This is done by taking the check out next to ASIO and rechecking, then launching the program again.

At this point I can basically shut the program down and restart it as many times as I like and the microphone works beautiful but as soon as I restart windows XP, I am back to square one with this distortion.

Why do I always have to reset my driver, what could be causing this?

====
WinXP-Pro
Spk1
1 Gb DDR Duel channel memory
3 Scsi hard drive interface
DirectX 9.1b
MobilePre USB driver ver. 1.0.0.12
No other sound card installed.

Have you disabled any onboard sound that the mobo may have? Also, in the Sounds and Multimedia properties of XP chose your soundcards ASIO setup their too and make sure the check box "use on preferred devices" is checked.

Hi Easto

I only have one sound card now and that’s the M-Audio USB.
I looked in the audio properties like you said, the only default devise you can choose from is my M-Audio, however I did check the use (only default devices) but when I restartd it was the same thing.
I know it has something to do with Logic because the mic sounds fine when I monitor it through the volume control panel in the systray.

@bennychico11
I”ve tried both leaving it out and keeping it in, still happens.

Winston, have you tried taking the check out next to ASIO in the "Driver 2 tab" and then putting it back in? then the program will ask to re_launch itself.
This works for me but it’s bull shit that I have to do it every damn time I restart my OS.

I emailed M-Audio but I still have time to return it to Guiter center for a Tascam US-122 which actually passed the windows logo testes.
http://www.tascam.com/product_info.php?pid=253

By all means....get the Tascam at once....trust me! BTW...are you sure their drivers passed the windows logo test? Because I was wondering if any aftermarket sound cards besides Creative...had them. Do you know of any other makers who have certified drivers?

I returned the Mobile Audio USB and bought the Tascam US-122.

The tascam is a piece of f…cking shit also.
At least the M-Audio Mobil had preamps with a little more out put despite the noise problem which I fixed by resetting the drivers at every reboot. We need to email these companys, EVERYONE needs to, they will get the messge.

Now about the US-122 =====
1. The pre amps have no power what’s so ever, I had to turn the gains up to 95% just to get an SM57 mic in the yellow region of the meters in Logic Audio. This is a hot mic to begin with by the way.
Who ever decided to put such low end pres in the 122 should be lined up and shot.
2. Secondly, the Tascam only gives you 4 latency settings and not one did the full trick. The best setting I could get still gave me latency and this is a clean install of windows XP, all service packs.
I have no screen savers on, no virus protectors running.
No other USB or sound cards installed.
Latest chipset drivers.
There is nothing on my system that should be causing me latency.
I’ve got 1 Gb of DDR Duel channel memory and a 2.4mHz Knorthwood Pentium 4 CPU

The hell with anything USB, it all sucks and all these cheep breakout boxes have crapy pre-amps.
The only Pre-amp I know of that has a good built in pre/66db gain is the Omni Studio and that is being discontinued.

I emailed M-Audio and Tascam to let them Know what was going on. Basically I spent my whole weekend running back to guitar center. I made 4 trips to the store, That’s it now!

TIME FOR A PCI CARD. F…CK USB Its for babies

Last edited:
I hear ya bro....my bad...on the 122...I was just basically saying to try something besides the M-Audio! Cus their drivers will make you lose your fucking mind.

Also, for some reason I thought you were on a laptop. (maybe because I am) But if I were still on a PC...I would definitely look into PCI. A ton of options there. I am somewhat limited on a laptop...so that is why I had to start out with a shitty arse USB unit. I think I am gonna try a PCMCIA Sound Card with a Mixer. I hope this is gonna be more stable.

Good Luck, in your ventures.

hehe... the pain people go through the first couple of weeks with new hardware is kinda funny.

i don't know, i have an ezbus that works fine over usb. i mean it does what it's supposed to do... gives you upto two channels of audio streams (unless you use the ezbus with an ez8 optical card, which gives you upto 8 channels of audio). a friend of mine uses edirol ua700, and he is very satisfied with it. that's also usb.

now with these usb 1.0 sound cards (older ones), you'll never get good latency. if you want very low latency, pci, firewire or usb 2.0 is what you want. about the tascam us122 mic preamp, i don't know anything. but i have a tascam fw1884... some people complained that its mic pres don't have enough gain. i just checked the mic pre with an sm57, and it seemed fine. i had the signals peaked at 70% gain with a normal singing voice in sonar. may be there is a control panel where you can set the input gain from the computer? it's hard to believe that tascam would release a product with a mic preamp, but there won't be enough gain in the line. they test their products before marketting i hope!

-shami

By the way, sorry about all my spelling errors, I fixed all of them I think
Anyway, keep in touch Winston, if I find something good I’ll let you know.
You know for the price I might just get a Delta1010 rack and use a small pre amp for my guitar Mic if I can. I’m looking at about $600 there.
I got all my money back today with no overstocking fee so I’m happy about that. As long as I know M-Audio will continue support on the Delta1010 thats probably the road I’ll take.
By the way, Did you say you had a MobilePre?
http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.main&ID=8eb1a9920df341303f81bca7ff458be3

I really beleave it’s just a driver issue with that unit, if they get enough emails they will probably comeout with some small hot fix, I emailed them and gave them a link to one of my posts on this topic so lets hang in there!

I would acctuly buy this unit again if they fix this problem, it really had a natural sound and even though the pre amps are only 40db, they were much higher output then the Tascam US-122.

By the way, that Tascam was a gorgeous looking piece, it looked so cool on my desk, it was really hard to return that but I just couldn’t deal with the weak preamps and horrible latency. they even took out the software control pannel to avoide every possibility of latency but that didn't even work

BlackDog, I do have USB 2.0
The funny thing is, all the sales guys at Guitar center said the Tascam US-122 was a USB 2.0 transfer mode and that the drivers were certified by Microsoft, not that that even matters to me.

Anyway, when I got it home and looked in the manual, it said it was USB 1.1 and during the driver set up wizards I still got the XP logo error so I know they were full of it.
I’m amazed because this US-122 is a new unit; I always thought it was 2.0

About the SM57, trust me man I’m not kidding: I had these gain controls up to full juice and it was just then putting the Logic meters in the yellow but at the same time the 122 unit was clipping out.
This was not the case with the M-Audio Mobile pre as that had much better output.

The problem with the Mobile pre was that for one it can only record at 16 bit, which I guess it not a big deal as you have to convert it to 16 bit anyway if your going to put your songs on a standard CD. I actually liked the sound on the Mobile Audio.

By the way, BlackDog Let me ask you something.
If I were to buy the M-Audio Firewire410, would I still get low latency with a cheap PCI fire wire card?

Back