Hooking up Behr ADA 8000 to computer

leaningpine

I have a Behringer ADA 8000 A/D converter. I'd like to hook it into my computer as I'm starting to record more on it. Do I need a soundcard with a TOSLINK input, will that work out fine? Otherwise, it's gathering dust in the music room.

Thanks!

Yes. Either that, or an interface with optical ADAT input. Toslink is just a type of optical connection. ADAT is the format.-Richie

Let me know if you happen to find a PCI card with just the ADAT I/O.
That and the ADA 8000 is all I need for my spare PC. I already have the ADA 8000.

Haven't found one yet. They have multiple in's and out's from what I've seen. Looking at around $150 right now, trying to find a cheaper one so wish me luck.

other then used $150 might be a little light

RME Digi9636 (9652) would require a RME core card

I think this

was a stand alone PCI card

M-audio lightbridge and the presonus lightpipe version of similar product connect to computer via firewire and have various adat interface options new they run 400-500 respectively and even used the M-audio is still posting at $300

but if either work on your home computer/OS they are probably the easiest cheapest options

quick answer is no s/pdif and ADAT are two distinct digital protocols

the confusion as to whether a device will support either or just from looking at is that s/pdif can be transmitted over either 'wire' or optical, the so called Toslink. Initiall the ADAT optical i/o was referred by some as ADAT Toslink for want of a better or . . .

generally if hard/software supports ADAT (8 separate channels of up to 48 khz sampling rate) it will be listed specifically . .. if ADAT is not listed in specs it is generally a good bet the hrd/sft does not support it

Back