Homemade soundproofing question

steffeeH

So I'm about to move to a new place in about a month (I hate it but I have no choice :/), and I'm also an apprentice and hopefully might get a job soon = earn cash again, so I'm having some thoughts about getting a more decent homestudio.
Now I have the most wild thoughts on how to fix the studio, so I felt I better check with you immediately before getting too much fantasies about my future homestudio.

Now, I have 0 experience on soundproofing, so expect me to sound r*tarded. :)

I'm planning to get a couple of 8" Krk Rokits, and an interface with MIDI-in/out, tele-in/out and mic-in/out (can't remember what it's called, whatever).

But the big deal is the room.
We're moving to a very, very old house, and I'll live on the second floor where I pretty much have no walls, just a roof.
Everything is just wooden planks except 2 very small walls on the short sides.
So my whole room has this triangular shape.
First I checked out some classic soundproofing, but then I got the wildest idea: why don't I just put thick quilts (correct word?) along the "walls", carpets on the floor, and some homemade basstraps where necessary.
Would this work well in theory?
I'm producing electro/house so I need to deal a lot with the lowend.

Thanks.

Sound proofing is where you are making sure sound created inside, stays there - and sound from outside can't get in. What you are talking about is sound treatment - making the room sound 'good'. A triangular room doesn't have parallel surfaces so lots of problems vanish - but there will be all sorts of reflections , and perhaps even a focal point style hotspot. The quilts on the walls often deadens down mid and high frequency reflections enough to make a decent recording, but just looks awful. Carpet doesn't do very much apart from up top, and of course you have a big flat untreated ceiling. The wooden floor will let sound out which might annoy, and if anyone on the floor below make noises, they'll almost certainly get back in! I'd suggest waiting until you are in and then seeing and hearing how the space works - then you plan and spend money. Nothing says you can't screw in some wall hooks and hang quilts when you need them.

To be precise, a "quilt" is a decorative cover. What you really want is a thick polyester "duvet".

And what you really should read is an article posted here instead on how to make cheap treatment panels.

Sound treatment and sound proofing are mutual "enemies"!

The former involves sound absorbent materials, traps, duvets, stuffed bears...and they will reduce the overall SPL in the room so you turn up and the noise egress stays the same!
Yes, a heavily treated room will be quieter but it won't stop your desired monitoring levels leaking out.

The only way to reduce sound egress is mass and airtightness. But you cannot go gaily adding the sort of mass you would need (concrete panels) to an upstairs floor unless you get a surveyor in! Otherwise it might rapidly join the ground floor. And, you gotta breathe.
But a triangular room COULD be a nice recording space. How big is it?

IMHO you would do best to invest in some really good headphones for the "Subaru Imp' Man" noises.

Dave.

Back