Homemade Kick Drum Mic project in Recording Mag

CellarCat

Anyone try this DIY project from the July issue of Recording Magazine? The drummer in my band wants to make one to try out but we are having a hard time finding a 45ohm speaker in where I live in Canada . Has anyone tried this with a different speaker than the 45ohm?

CellarCat said:
Anyone try this DIY project from the July issue of Recording Magazine? The drummer in my band wants to make one to try out but we are having a hard time finding a 45ohm speaker in where I live in Canada . Has anyone tried this with a different speaker than the 45ohm?

I personally have never seen a speaker rated "45 Ohms". IDo they say where they bought it?
You could raise the impedence/resistance rating by adding resistors or just a volume would raise the impedence.

I've made Kick drum mics out of 4" Speakers before.
Worked pretty well , I might add!

All a speaker really is, is a Low impedence Mic in reverse.

I'll have to see if I can find this article, because I'd like to read it myself.

Tim

Hey Cat who lives upstairs. I too read that article and thougth it was pretty cool. If I am not mistaken, they did list where you might get the parts. Also if I am not mistaken, they refered to the speaker as a transister radio speaker. One possible way to get a hold of one would be to visit a flea market. Let us know if you succeed.

Unfortunatly the places they listed in the article to get stuff are Amercain distributators and we get killed with exchange and duty . They said that the 45ohm speakers were found in a lot of intercom systems . So we have been checking out garage sales etc for old stuff like that and old transister radios . We'll let you know what i come up with......

Back