Home Studio XL crackling on recording - sound sample

blipndub

I've been struggling with this for a long time now and no amount of searching or lurking has brought me any answers.

I'm running an older Sony pc viao with 1 gig ram using an M-Auduio 10/24 that I connect to an external analog mixer. Sometimes (but not always) I get a crackling in the recorded track. My buffers are set high as is my latency. the only additional application I ever run is a line 6 toneport via usb. But even if I disconnect this device and disable all effect plug ins I get the same result.

Sometimes restarting the pc helps other time re-running the wav pro-filer helps, but about half the time it doesn't.
I don't know if this is enough information but hopefully the audio sample will help.

The sample is Guitar Sample on the bottom of my list of songs on RN:
http://www.reverbnation.com/JonathanLindsay

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

You've disconnected the Internet, Skype, Antivirus, Windows Updates and everything that scans?

Make sure you have all of the Service Packs.
It's actually quicker to go looking for them rather than allowing Windows to dole out the updates over the course of a few days/weeks.

Will installing service packs overwrite my settings, like page indexing and restore points that I've disabled?

Mouse and keyboard I think USB, and the Toneport, but I don't use the Toneport USB as the audio input, the pc just powers the unit, which i run in to an analog mixer and then in to the soundcard.

To me it doesn't feel like a system resource issue. I'm not running very complex stuff and I recently upgraded RAM, which really brought the machine alive. I don't get dropouts or super high CPU usage indicators.

I have been upping the Driver buffers for the sample rate I record at, 44K they were defaulted to 256 and I set them to 1000 and reran wav profiler. That seemed to help sometimes, but not always so it doesn't sound like it's the right track either.

Will installing service packs overwrite my settings, like page indexing and restore points that I've disabled?
Not that I remember. It will speed up and smooth out your software though.
You will receive a caution if you need to back something up but in all honesty, you have to do it for full function.

Okay, I'll run an internet connection to the machine. I've been avoiding it since I know how it can wreak havoc.
Thanks!

popping

Had the same problem searched every where turned out to be a bad cable but only did it in certain positions took a long time to figure out other time this can be from a unit that is not grounded correctly Good luck
Tim

Back