Home Recording's Dirty Little Secret

What were your home recording expectations vs commercial high end studio recordings?

• Total voters
"Louie Louie" was recorded in a very small studio, with drunken musicians, in one take. Sonically, it sounds like crap. To most people, that doesn't matter - it's a great track.

Many, many great songs in the olden days were recorded with equipment inferior to what home studios now have access to.

It really depends on your goal. If by "professional" you mean you can make a living recording polished pop songs in 2012 - something like Lady Gaga or Lady Antebellum - I think most home studios are not going to cut it.

However, many types of punk, indie and lo-fi music don't require a perfectly clean sound. I would say it should be possible to self-produce an album of this type of music.

I'm still new at this recording thing, and even I have been able to get some surprisingly decent results out of my home equipment. It's a lot of work and takes some planning/organizational skills. But I think it can be done.

The components are: songwriting, arrangement, performance, and studio magic (recording/mixing/mastering). There are four potential weakpoints, not just the studio component.

If I wanted to disagree with this more strongly I couldn't ! It's almost as though it's regarded as blasphemy to say, 'actually, these songs I've written or that they've written are better than loads of stuff I have on records'. After listening to home recorded albums like "Cloud" or songs like "Save you now", "So high solo" and "You jumped the gun", believe me, it is not blasphemous at all !

Nobody is criticizing your songwriting personally, mate! But anybody who wants to improve their skills has to have a bit of humility.

Many, many people think that they have mastered the arts of songwriting AND performance AND arranging AND recording AND mixing. And IMO, most of these people are wrong. I certainly haven't.

These folks need to be willing to listen to the opinions of others, who may have something constructive to add, to make the songs better.

The issue being discussed here is whether or not a professional recording is possible with home equipment. Many people automatically blame the equipment, without looking critically at their own skills.

I will agree with you that record sales does NOT equal a quality recording. Tons of absolute crap is sold by following pop trends and by sheer marketing muscle.

well said. I'm about 4yrs into recording and my friends say it sounds just as good as the real deal. crap in crap out. you gotta be able to play tight and consistent. use good amps guitars. that is 90% of it.

Nobody is criticizing your songwriting personally, mate! But anybody who wants to improve their skills has to have a bit of humility.
It's interesting that you should assume I took a criticism of my songwriting personally when no one criticized my songwriting ! Secondly, I'm perfectly adept at passionately and forcefully making a point about something that doesn't personally involve or concern me. Thirdly, why is it considered 'not having humility' if you happen to be confident about something you can do ?
Many, many people think that they have mastered the arts of songwriting AND performance AND arranging AND recording AND mixing. And IMO, most of these people are wrong.
I don't recall ever reading anyone here saying that they've 'mastered' any of those elements. But lots of people can do them. I couldn't say most of them were wrong even if they did say those things - unless I'd heard all their works. But I will reiterate that I've heard enough stuff from people on this site to conclude that a number of them are damn good at various aspects and I don't hear anything in pro-land that makes me think "coo, those home recorders are such bloody amateurs !".
These folks need to be willing to listen to the opinions of others, who may have something constructive to add, to make the songs better.
Well, just about everyone at some stage does listen to the opinions of others. But equally, the opinions of others are simply that - the opinions of others. Just because Paul McCartney thinks your song needs an extra verse or a restatement of the verse melody during the solo doesn't mean that it has to be followed. It's just his opinion. It ain't his song.
The issue being discussed here is whether or not a professional recording is possible with home equipment. Many people automatically blame the equipment, without looking critically at their own skills.
I agree. But in a way, it's a two way argument. Some will say that you can't get pro results with home equipment which automatically sends the discussion down the road of the equipment. And for those of us that say you can, there's someone that will then take the view that "well, your songwriting can't compare, or your tracking or recording space or mixing etc" which rather renders the original premise redundant. I've said it many times here, I've heard lousy recordings of great songs over the last 50 years. My music collection is a mixed bag sonically. Not every product of a professional is going to be top notch. Not every product of a home recorder is going to be 'less than pro quality'. 'Pro quality', for me is a somewhat nebulous term.
I will agree with you that record sales does NOT equal a quality recording. Tons of absolute crap is sold by following pop trends and by sheer marketing muscle.
And by the same token, lots of stuff that never sells or even gets heard is of stellar quality.

I started back in the days of 4 track Tascams. I upgraded to an 8 track one and learned how to run MIDI sync. I upgraded to 2 ADAT VHS 8 tracks. I upgraded to an ADAT HD 24, bought a Mackie D8B console. Now, I'm running Apple Pro Logic on a Mac Pro. I've taken courses and even worked freelance part time for a commercial studio in the 80s. It's all a learning process. I'm still learning and have issues with what I do.

One of the things that I learned over the years is I get better results approaching things simple. The biggest thing that I have to pass on is how important it is to understand that the vocal has to be the most important thing in a song and everything else has to support it.

I voted that I did not expect to get high end commercial quality. I play and write and record purely for my own pleasure. It is very unlikely that anyone other than myself or maybe my immediate family will ever hear my recordings. What I strive to achieve is good clear recordings with mixes that sound and feel organic or natural.

I started by pressing the record button on a portable cassette recorder and thought I would sound impressive. But passing cars, dogs barking, missus cluttering in the kitchen, lawnmowers in the neighbourhood and a variety of other unwanted sounds kind of suggested that I had to make some serious improvements. Although it is possible to do an acceptable performance the first time, you would normally need to do a little bit of editing to remove various anomolies from the mix. Eventually I started recording on computer. It's not that I didn't think about that before, but I didn't have a computer at the time. I started with Cooledit and found it was a lot better than a cassette recorder but then Pandora's box had been opened. I heard what a friend had done with an earlier version of Cakewalk Sonar 3 (from memory) and purchased a copy of Sonar 4 Producer. Bit by bit the gear was upgraded as I learned more about it. Now, some 20 years after those first cassette recordings, I still find I don't know enough but I do believe progress has been made. I may not match a million-dollar studio but I don't have the ears to tell you what the differences are. So I borrow the ears of some of the seasoned professionals on this forum to see what they can hear that I may be ignoring or not noticing. When they point it out, I can hear it and apply appropriate adjustments. When they stop replying to my threads, I know that they are either sick of hearing it or it is as good as it is going to be. For my purposes, that is pretty good. Is it good enough for commercial use? I don't know, probably not. But does it have to be THAT good?

Lord i remember when i got my first mic and preamp. I thought i was going to make a recording studio quality sound. Boy was i wrong. Lol stil to this day after many many upgrades and internships i still dont have that sound.

Lord i remember when i got my first mic and preamp. I thought i was going to make a recording studio quality sound. Boy was i wrong. Lol stil to this day after many many upgrades and internships i still dont have that sound.

Sounds like a problem with the talent of those you are recording. Good performances and quality of the sound being recorded, is IMO, 90% of the challenge. Well, unless the recording gear is just a silly level of quality. A good performance, some decent gear, a treated room with monitors you have faith in, and a good ear, can achieve great results. Some people just aren't suited for mixing. I don't claim to be myself, but I have heard some pretty damn horrible recordings from others that have better gear than I.

Sounds like a problem with the talent of those you are recording. Good performances and quality of the sound being recorded, is IMO, 90% of the challenge. Well, unless the recording gear is just a silly level of quality. A good performance, some decent gear, a treated room with monitors you have faith in, and a good ear, can achieve great results. Some people just aren't suited for mixing. I don't claim to be myself, but I have heard some pretty damn horrible recordings from others that have better gear than I.

Totes agree with you there Jim, a million-dollar studio doesn't necessarily mean a million-dollar production if the ears aren't there...

I get paid to record and mix / master professional tracks, so yes I think I can do it.. Well I damn well hope so, not saying it didn't take me a while and now even if the musicians are below par.. It sounds like in your face punchy ****!! As opposed to weak sloppy ****!!

I knew going into it that my experience would be subpar and dependent on my gear and setup, but that's not to say that it's not possible. Commercial studios have the luxury of the highest end software/plugins and outboard gear and better natural room sounds, which gives a better possible edge, but today you can come fairly close depending on your ability and your pocketbook.

Quality of gear definitely matters, but good gear cant make crap sound great, ever. As Shadow eluded to, Shit in = SHIT, no matter what you do to it, it is still Shit. A true talent, even with crappy tone, can make all of, and most of the difference between a crap recording, and a good one. There are many tricks that can attempt to fix issues and make a performance better, but there is no faking a great performance. That is something that those of us in the recording biz can't control, when it is not us playing. If we are lucky enough to get clients with talent, then we get to sleep at night. Or we just redo their parts while they are sleeping. lol! Done that. :)

Or we just redo their parts while they are sleeping. lol! Done that. :)

Lol! Got a snicker out of that Jim. One of the young bands I recorded had great potential but the ability was still forming. On one or two of their recordings, I pitch-corrected the singer who had great range but not much in the way of control (she hated me for doing that but it had to be done) and I even played the lead guitar part myself to substitute for the lead guitarist. They thought I was cheating and bailed out. Wouldn't believe that I was doing what pros do to get the best possible representation of the band. Now they have gone to a "professional" recording studio. 6 months later they still haven't produced the recording. They finished it apparently, but in their words, they are just adding finishing touches (like pitch correction and substitution? hehe)

Yeah man, it is funny how that happens. Bands wanting to sound professional, but cant, because they are not. Even ones with great potential, can get all butt-hurt when you try to use tools to bring them up to par. Then there are some that love to better themselves by hearing the truth. Hell, I recently got great vocals from a singer who has great potential, yet is a bit off pitch. I took his original track, tuned the hell out of it, and had him sing along with his tuned track. It seemed to help him to ignore the pitch problems, and focus on the emotion of the performance. Try that on a huge ego type. Not gonna happen.

I once pulled the guitar out of the hands of a guy/friend that couldn't play a simple clean part, and played it myself. He was offended at first but realized that it was better than getting frustrated and paying me for the time doing it himself. Ego is not a good thing in the studio. Save that for the live show, after you have reason to have one....

Yeah man, it is funny how that happens. Bands wanting to sound professional, but cant, because they are not. Even ones with great potential, can get all butt-hurt when you try to use tools to bring them up to par. Then there are some that love to better themselves by hearing the truth. Hell, I recently got great vocals from a singer who has great potential, yet is a bit off pitch. I took his original track, tuned the hell out of it, and had him sing along with his tuned track. It seemed to help him to ignore the pitch problems, and focus on the emotion of the performance. Try that on a huge ego type. Not gonna happen.

I once pulled the guitar out of the hands of a guy/friend that couldn't play a simple clean part, and played it myself. He was offended at first but realized that it was better than getting frustrated and paying me for the time doing it himself. Ego is not a good thing in the studio. Save that for the live show, after you have reason to have one....

Takes a lot of training to be in perfect pitch all the time, unless you are genetically blessed. These days I warn the performer beforehand that they are going to see some sinister-looking tricks used in the studio. They are surprised at first but then they accept it and work with you to get the best recording possible. Much better when they work with you on it. I have also found that when they listen to their own pitch-corrected voice, they seem to sing closer to pitch next time. Good training trick

Dammit! We are giving away the dirty little secret now! lol!

Nothing is more pleasing to me, than musicians that actually know what they are doing, do it well, and do not need any type of enhancement to make their performance work. That sadly, is not always the case. As home recording types that many of us be here, we tend to play producer to whatever comes our way. In my case, mostly friends as far as actual recording of bands goes. That makes it a bit easier at times, but sometimes harder to tell your buddy he sucks, and I need to fix it. Most of my work these days is mixing/collaborating for artists overseas. That makes it a bit easier to do what is necessary, without having to see the sad faces. :) Oh, and I am never wrong that way either. lol!

I might have to look for more talented artists but sometimes I do get one where I don't have anything to do. Only a couple of those. One take, perfect track. Bring up pitch correction out of curiosity and it displays a dialog box saying, "Are you kiddin'?"

I might have to look for more talented artists but sometimes I do get one where I don't have anything to do. Only a couple of those. One take, perfect track. Bring up pitch correction out of curiosity and it displays a dialog box saying, "Are you kiddin'?"

Yeah man, those are the good ones. Not making any money to buy more gear, but what a pleasure to see that happen! Just the other night, A buddy of mine (guitar player in one of my former bands) joined a band that had recorded here (they fired their guitar player-by the way, he was really good, but his social skills were crap) came in to redo a solo for the album. He nailed it in one take, through a crappy Crate practice amp. Then he played 2 more harmony tracks that were perfect. I didn't have to do much of anything, other than put up a mic and press record. He was in the band for 6 days and already played a 45 minute set with them the night before... Guys like this, piss me off, because it makes me realize that 99% of musicians just suck ass.

Back