Home Recording's Dirty Little Secret

What were your home recording expectations vs commercial high end studio recordings?

• Total voters
some interesting posts here, first one for me.

I banged out 4 seriously lack luster songs last year, that is well below the professional level. But the point is, I enjoyed myself no end. I wrote the songs, preformed them, the buzz is great, whats more enjoying than doing some thing u like.

I'm working on a new song this morning, I bought a Peavey10 mixer and a new bit of software and first results encourage me on. I learned many years ago while working in Ireland, and no people I know love singing as much as the Irish do, just do it and enjoy.

At 60 I look ahead still and love it, "may you live all the day's of your life" yeah, 120 or die trying, lol.

I'm pretty sure I commented in this thread about 5 years ago, and here I am again - older, wiser, still vastly under-experienced. However, it seems that time and experience get you closer and closer to the elusive dream we all strive for. That and making a decent bit more money now than I did at the time (I've since upgraded from a DMP-3 and Firepod to "better" stuff - or at least stuff that requires less effort to get a great sound out of).

As far as thinking I was going to produce professional stuff, I don't believe in the late 90's when I got my first 4-track recorder that I was going to put down professional material. Then again, I didn't know at the time what was even necessary to do that. Cut to the mid-2000's, and I'm wondering why more expensive equipment isn't getting me pristine, professional-sounding recordings. Turns out that cheap acoustic guitars with poor tonal balance in untreated rectangular rooms do not record well :facepalm:

If you do not have a professional studio that is dedicated to tracking as well as a dedicated mixing room that has been set up properly you cannot expect to recieve pro quality results. You may come close, but in today's world close isn't enough.

I own Cubase, ProTools, with all of the needed tools. I find myself using my Tascam 2488NEO more than my computer because it is easier for me. Have I ever expected pro results? No, but I have been in music my entire life. My equipment was purchased to lay down ideas that I can use to build from. Now that I am older and a bit more mature I have found an interest in the art of recording and mixing. The lessons I have learned through experience and forums such as these is worth more than I could ever pay. Also spending time in a "REAL" studio of pro quality has paid off.

Yes you can! It's been done many times before!

I believe you can compete with the major recording studios with their million dollar rooms and technologies.

I believe that the signal you record onto media had less to do with attracting attention to your music than the emotional quality and quantity of performance. (to a large extent) Just give me a major label's marketing and promo budget for a year and I'll prove it. We, the artist have had access to (nearly) the same technology as the big white elephant studios for five to ten or more years and have proven this time after time. I can name countless artist who have recorded onto inexpensive (yet quality) equiment and have "released" their productions from such equipment. I also think it's an excuse for the home recordist to think he can't compete because he doesn't have the latest pres' or studio environment.

You can compete and you can contribute but all your efforts won't come to reality until that promotional and marketing engine is engaged. And that's another thread all together.

I have not read the entire thread, but...
I started doing overdubbed songs with my brother's reel to reel deck some 35 years ago. Mostly recording my own songs. I've been having this going on with different machines ever since. Now, finally, I've got a small home studio and opportunity to record whatever I like. As I play quite many instruments (at least few notes ;-) I'm now able to experiment without the pressure of having to pay for a commercial studio. In many cases time and ability to test arrangements and miking is what gives that extra something for a song. The money pressure in commercial studio is immense. In the end, the artist pays...
A well made home recorded album can easily beat the quality received in an affordable commercial studio with not the highest quality. And I've been able to do that, to me and my friends.

Also, I find it facinating to listen to some artists' demos they have released on boxed sets and bootlegs etc. (Neil Young, Dylan to mention few).

I personally thought I could compete with commercial recordings, because many of them seemed really easy, or even just sound bad. I mean, if you're 15 and listening to Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin or something ... Of course, you would think you could copy that sound. It was not that seem difficult at the moment. The balance sheets, which can plug away at times ... there are errors ... Hiss .... poorly tuned instruments .... I guess I thought it would be easy.

I have never had the notion of trying to make a “professional” recording at home but to have fun and share with musician friends. I have been in many bands and have many live recordings but no studio time with a band.

Over the years I have had fun recording by myself starting with the TEAC 7” reels with “sound on sound”, the many Tascam cassette multitrack recorders and now finally with a computer and home-recordist oriented software.

The learning curve is steeper for the software than the cassette recorders !

It all started cuz we were in a band and didn't want to pay the studio prices. So we thought we could do just as well on our own. That was 10 years ago and we have put out some decent sounding recordings but nothing like the pros. It's a bit of an obsession now...I've spent thousands of dollars over the past two years, I've spent countless hours on this forum and reading books, I've treated my room, etc. Still, I don't think my recordings sound that much better than my older stuff, they just take much less time tweaking with plug-ins. I'm hoping my latest acquisition (la610se) will take my sound even further. I've turned into more of a gear slut over the past two years than I've ever been before...for example...

Wanted the most powerful PC I could find...$1000
Big LCD monitor...$300
Nice near fields...$500
FireWire interface...$500
Sweet acoustic...$2500
Better electric...$1500
Good electronic drums...$1500
Better mic...$800
Better mic pre...$800
Selling better mic pre and purchased even better channel strip...$2300
Misc (cabling, books, diy room treatment, etc.) ...$800

Total = $12,500

After all that I still don't feel confident in what I'm doing. I do notice a different in the quality of the sounds I'm putting down but still nothing to rival commercial recordings. I love having the gear to use and the freedom to lay down tracks whenever I want without time restrictions. But the rational thing to do, more productive and much less time consuming would have been to use that money to get my songs down in a quality studio. I just always feel that there's so much more to learn. Not sure if I'll ever get there.

Home recording can be so rewarding at times but also very discouraging other times. I viewed an ad in the local classifieds for a trained engineer to come over to my house for $20 an hour to walk me thru things hands on and tell me how I cando things better and what mistakes I might be making at the moment. I think that will be my next step.

The more I learn, the less I know.

Last edited:
here the thing, can we make recording that sound as good as the pros? yes we can! dont let anyone tell you different, what we cant do consistently is write songs as good as the pro and as quickly. the beatles as they are often used as a point of reference, recorded on equipment less stellar than ours BUT the songs were well, they stand on their own, can we write better songs than our idols? in most cases no. garbage in garbage out, its as simple as that..so your equipment is good, but your songwriting skills suck, including mine and thats the bottom line...

here the thing, can we make recording that sound as good as the pros? yes we can! dont let anyone tell you different, what we cant do consistently is write songs as good as the pro and as quickly. the beatles as they are often used as a point of reference, recorded on equipment less stellar than ours BUT the songs were well, they stand on their own, can we write better songs than our idols? in most cases no. garbage in garbage out, its as simple as that..so your equipment is good, but your songwriting skills suck, including mine and thats the bottom line...

I have to second this - - Where the home recordist really falls short is the song itself. . .

The writing, arranging and producing. . . Being a musician is the easy part, but learning to craft a song, or an album- - That's a whole other thing. . But it can be learned, like anything else you put your mind to. . It's just that most home recordists overlook those skills, and only come to realize this AFTER they've written crap, recorded crap, and produced alot of crap. . "The Record Deal", or whatever you want to call it- - "the grown-ups" who filter out the crap, and used to stand between the crap and the consumer made good music look easy. . .

You have a good song? Make it a great song, or move on to a better one. The pros do.
Learn the art of arranging, structure, melody, hooks, dynamics, etc. . The pros do.
You have decent equipment? You probably do. Just use it properly. The pros do.
Don't be so emotionally attached to your music. The pros put out a pro product. (at least they used to before over-compression and volume wars)

You can achieve greatness with one mic and a 4-track cassette if the song is good and you know what you're doing.

It is possible, but doesn't happen often.

Maybe it could happen more often. . . Recording can be quite complicated if you let it.. . And recording songs that don't have "it" is a necessary part of learning to record well, I suppose. . . I myself honed my skills with the minimum, most basic of gear. It's after much songwriting, rewriting, preproduction, ear-training, listening, and more listening that a person develops the skills of a producer/engineer.

To get back to the point of whether a home recordist can rival the work of the pros, I would say, Of Course ! . . . If a person, after many years and today's gear, still isn't getting pro results, I suppose you could blame the room, or the mic, or the pre or whatever, but today's consumer gear is often yesterday's pro and alot of it hasn't changed much. . I suspect the problem is the sum of many subtle mistakes in songwriting, performance, mixing and ear training, producing and arranging. . .

If it SOUNDS amateur, that's because it is. . . If it SOUNDS professional, it IS professional.
That's really the bottom line.

If it SOUNDS amateur, that's because it is. . . If it SOUNDS professional, it IS professional.
That's really the bottom line.

I agree with this, but in home recording there are many, many, many people who think there stuff sounds professional when it does not. They could be cured by simply placing one of their tracks in a playlist of artists they respect and listening critically. I think that too many people get caught up opinions of friends and family in regard to 'quality'. My own stuff is country miles from pro sounding, but I enjoy the process.

what we cant do consistently is write songs as good as the pro and as quickly. the beatles as they are often used as a point of reference, recorded on equipment less stellar than ours BUT the songs were well, they stand on their own, can we write better songs than our idols? in most cases no.
If I wanted to disagree with this more strongly I couldn't ! It's almost as though it's regarded as blasphemy to say, 'actually, these songs I've written or that they've written are better than loads of stuff I have on records'. After listening to home recorded albums like "Cloud" or songs like "Save you now", "So high solo" and "You jumped the gun", believe me, it is not blasphemous at all !
garbage in garbage out, its as simple as that..so your equipment is good, but your songwriting skills suck, including mine and thats the bottom line...
Speak for yourself mate ! The only way your statement could even hope to stand up is if you had heard almost everyone's home recorded efforts......which you couldn't possibly have. It's a bit like a country and western lover saying "all heavy rock and reggae is lame....." having listened to Matumbi, Black Slate, Bunny Wailer, Led Zeppelin, Mahogany Rush and Lone Star.

I have to second this - - Where the home recordist really falls short is the song itself. . .
I feel the opposite way. You see, both in the old days and now, there has often been so much more to making recordings and netting and keeping recording contracts than "having songs", even good ones. For instance, many a time, a groups' songs were rejected and they were made to record what the producer {or A&R man in the really old days} thought was something safe that the public would like. It often had nothing to do with what was 'good'. And then you have situations where company execs changed and the new guy didn't like the band that had been signed by the old exec. Nothing to do with whether the music was good. Not to mention all the sexual favours and payola that have been such a fundamental part of music history. And then what about all the novelty hits that are almost universally reviled except that they sold a bundle ? Were they good ?
To me, the home recordist is no less or more capable of writing good songs than the professional that does it every day. There is nothing in writing songs daily that intrinsically means you will write good stuff. It's a bit like the DIYer. The decorator/plumber/electrician that does it for a living is by no means guaranteed to create a more beautiful result than the guy that enjoys it but does it now and then. I have seen work by people that were not professionals and you would never guess it. For me, the same applies to music.
You have a good song? Make it a great song, or move on to a better one. The pros do.
Learn the art of arranging, structure, melody, hooks, dynamics, etc. . The pros do.
You have decent equipment? You probably do. Just use it properly. The pros do.
There are so many kinds of songs across so many genres. And not only do different standards apply to different genres, they applied in different eras.
On top of that, not everything that emerged from professional studios was necesarilly good. You had good producers, engineers, masterers, cutters......and average and lame ones. It's quite interesting hearing engineers criticizing the work of other engineers. Very revealing.
Don't be so emotionally attached to your music.
That would apply if we were manufacturing fridges or rubber toys. It's a somewhat different thing with a song. Often, one has vested emotional energy and more in a song and the way one wants to do it.
In a way, I completely agree with you. I'm often fascinated about artists that will declare how much they dislike the actual recording that came out and was a hit. I've lost count over the years how many times I've heard or read of someone saying that what the producer did to their song/album wasn't what they wanted or what they would have done. And there's me thinking "I'm glad you didn't get your way, because I love your song/album !"

I agree with this, but in home recording there are many, many, many people who think there stuff sounds professional when it does not.
AtoDeficient and I were agreeing on this in another thread. I sometimes wonder if it's an age thing. I don't often see people that are beyond, say, their 30s shouting from the rooftops about their awesome songs. Other things, yes. :D
I have alot of 'professionally' recorded albums of 'questionable' and varied quality. It runs both ways but sometimes, I wonder if we aren't a little too taken with 'pro' and not pro. Of course, I have consider the very real possibility that the standard of what I can enjoy is just shockingly low !
My own stuff is country miles from pro sounding, but I enjoy the process.
Same here. I like the process but I'm more interested in the result. It's a hobby but I also want to listen to decent music in my old age. :D

. . there are many, many, many people who think there stuff sounds professional when it does not. They could be cured by simply placing one of their tracks in a playlist of artists they respect and listening critically. . .

The Critical Listening. . . That's what I sense is lacking in alot of what I hear. . . I hear mixes with good levels, a nice placement, but lacking the punch and air that could set them apart. . . The understanding of room echoes, delays, reverbs. . . Putting a sheen into a mix. . You have to be able to hear that in a mix to know when it's lacking it. . .

I probably sound like I think I know it all, but I had to learn it too. . I remember my first mix that I got right, mostly by accident, but then I knew what I was after, and so my mixes improved. And that's really the thing for me- - I strive first for the best songs I can write, and everything I write I can improve upon, and then the critical listening and mixing with patience and attention to make the song live and breathe. . .

If an old hack like me can do it, certainly anyone else can too.

The Critical Listening. . . That's what I sense is lacking in alot of what I hear. . . I hear mixes with good levels, a nice placement, but lacking the punch and air that could set them apart. . . The understanding of room echoes, delays, reverbs. . . Putting a sheen into a mix. . You have to be able to hear that in a mix to know when it's lacking it. . .

I probably sound like I think I know it all, but I had to learn it too. . I remember my first mix that I got right, mostly by accident, but then I knew what I was after, and so my mixes improved. And that's really the thing for me- - I strive first for the best songs I can write, and everything I write I can improve upon, and then the critical listening and mixing with patience and attention to make the song live and breathe. . .

If an old hack like me can do it, certainly anyone else can too.

Oh yeah - you are talking about a level actually over and above what I was referring to. Punch, air and a sort of natural realism is where I really struggle. Also playing everything myself and it takes a *really* long time to begin to get to the point where you can establish a band groove in that context - I've only heard a couple people here pull it off - playing everything and sounding like a band that actually grooves.

ps - I guess you could substitute the word 'good' where I used professional. Grim made a great observation. It's mostly the younger set shouting from the rooftops when they g
et what they think, or their friends tell them are decent mixes.

If I wanted to disagree with this more strongly I couldn't ! It's almost as though it's regarded as blasphemy to say, 'actually, these songs I've written or that they've written are better than loads of stuff I have on records'. After listening to home recorded albums like "Cloud" or songs like "Save you now", "So high solo" and "You jumped the gun", believe me, it is not blasphemous at all !Speak for yourself mate ! The only way your statement could even hope to stand up is if you had heard almost everyone's home recorded efforts......which you couldn't possibly have. It's a bit like a country and western lover saying "all heavy rock and reggae is lame....." having listened to Matumbi, Black Slate, Bunny Wailer, Led Zeppelin, Mahogany Rush and Lone Star.

I feel the opposite way. You see, both in the old days and now, there has often been so much more to making recordings and netting and keeping recording contracts than "having songs", even good ones. For instance, many a time, a groups' songs were rejected and they were made to record what the producer {or A&R man in the really old days} thought was something safe that the public would like. It often had nothing to do with what was 'good'. And then you have situations where company execs changed and the new guy didn't like the band that had been signed by the old exec. Nothing to do with whether the music was good. Not to mention all the sexual favours and payola that have been such a fundamental part of music history. And then what about all the novelty hits that are almost universally reviled except that they sold a bundle ? Were they good ?
To me, the home recordist is no less or more capable of writing good songs than the professional that does it every day. There is nothing in writing songs daily that intrinsically means you will write good stuff. It's a bit like the DIYer. The decorator/plumber/electrician that does it for a living is by no means guaranteed to create a more beautiful result than the guy that enjoys it but does it now and then. I have seen work by people that were not professionals and you would never guess it. For me, the same applies to music.There are so many kinds of songs across so many genres. And not only do different standards apply to different genres, they applied in different eras.
On top of that, not everything that emerged from professional studios was necesarilly good. You had good producers, engineers, masterers, cutters......and average and lame ones. It's quite interesting hearing engineers criticizing the work of other engineers. Very revealing.That would apply if we were manufacturing fridges or rubber toys. It's a somewhat different thing with a song. Often, one has vested emotional energy and more in a song and the way one wants to do it.
In a way, I completely agree with you. I'm often fascinated about artists that will declare how much they dislike the actual recording that came out and was a hit. I've lost count over the years how many times I've heard or read of someone saying that what the producer did to their song/album wasn't what they wanted or what they would have done. And there's me thinking "I'm glad you didn't get your way, because I love your song/album !"

AtoDeficient and I were agreeing on this in another thread. I sometimes wonder if it's an age thing. I don't often see people that are beyond, say, their 30s shouting from the rooftops about their awesome songs. Other things, yes. :D
I have alot of 'professionally' recorded albums of 'questionable' and varied quality. It runs both ways but sometimes, I wonder if we aren't a little too taken with 'pro' and not pro. Of course, I have consider the very real possibility that the standard of what I can enjoy is just shockingly low !Same here. I like the process but I'm more interested in the result. It's a hobby but I also want to listen to decent music in my old age. :D

well unless you have some gold and platinum records under your belt, you're in the same category with the rest of us home recordist. i stand behind what i say, we either dont have the talent, time, focus or skill to take us from home recordist to pros. granted we can get better but not with the other home level talent we associate with. the best advice i can give given the fact that most home recordist try to wear every hat, is to focus on one or two thing, if you want to be a vocalist, focus on that not mixing, what to be a songwriter focus on that not mastering and on.

well unless you have some gold and platinum records under your belt, you're in the same category with the rest of us home recordist. i stand behind what i say, we either dont have the talent, time, focus or skill to take us from home recordist to pros. granted we can get better but not with the other home level talent we associate with. the best advice i can give given the fact that most home recordist try to wear every hat, is to focus on one or two thing, if you want to be a vocalist, focus on that not mixing, want to be a songwriter focus on that not mastering and on.
There are snippets of reality in there, obviously, but the general thrust is way off beam, I'm afraid. You do yourself little credit by throwing in the jibe about gold and platinum records. Gold and platinum records prove that lots of people bought that record. That's all. They say absolutely nothing about the quality, which is subjective at best. I think Elton John's 1997 single about the recently departed Princess Diana was an absolute pile of horseshit. His earlier version about Marilyn was slightly better. But the fact is that no single in British history has sold more. Was it that good ? Or was a huge slice of a nation in shock and grief over a sad and sudden death ? And the buying of the record a cathartic act ?
But you know, you kind of miss the point of many home recorders. Many aren't looking to be professionals, selling millions of records. Many don't want fame. And furthermore, many people that record their music at home have been playing for many years. They know how to sing, they know how to play an instrument {and often more than one}, they know how to structure a song, they know how to record people. They're not under record company pressure to put out saleable pap, they're not under manners to a fickle public that often will drop the next big thing as soon as something bigger comes along........It's a fallacy to imply that home recorders are home recorders because they don't have the time, talent, skill and focus to be professionals. Home recorders, as I discovered when I started actually talking to them, are a mixed bag. Interestingly, many quite enjoy the process and the wearing of all the hats {and trust me, it's very deliberate and very conscious}, it's not a reluctant endeavour.
You're drifting too, because your original point, the one to which I replied, was about songwriting. Putting songs together really is different from all the other disciplines involved in creating a finished product that one buys. All the other aspects have an advantage through repetition. Tracking, mixing, mastering, {distributing, if that tickles your fancy} - all of these things with constantly doing them day in day out will bring a level of expertise that someone that does it twice a year is going to be hard pushed to match. :D
But songwriting isn't like that. Even professionals don't write songs every single day. Few writers have been as prolific as the Beatles and between the four of them, the most they came up with in any one year was about 36 in 1968.
In point of fact, the one intrinsic aspect of home recording in which the home recorder really can compete or outshine 'the pros' {if that was actually anyone's desire} is in the songwriting. A fantastic song is a fantastic song, whoever wrote it.

When I first started playing around with home recording most of the technology out now wasn't even around and if you could get access to it, it was very very expensive so mostly I expected stuff not to sound good....and it didn't.

Back