Home Recording an Album

zendao

So I ‘m recording an 8 song rock album. I want to record electric guitars, acoustic guitars, and vocals home and maybe also piano at my aunt’s house if I can manage the recording and bass if I can rent or get someone to lend me a decent one. I will record the drums and do the final mix at a proper studio or outsource the mix somehow. My music is basically a form of alt rock and I’m looking for a sound along the lines of Radiohead’s In Rainbows, Jeff Buckley’s Grace, Incubus’ Make Your Self / Morning View, A Perfect Circles’ Mer de Noms and Mutemath’s self titled album.

I will be putting my 10+ years of music making into, as it finally seems like it’s time (A single we recorded a few months ago which I unfortunately ended up mixing, and in my opinion sounds like crap, got into national radio without me knowing about it until later). So basically I’m going for the big break through with this Album so everything needs to be as perfect as possible!

I’m recording a demo of each song at the moment, then I will send it to the new drummer () so that we can compose his parts, record that at a proper studio and then that I’ll record the rest of the stuff home. When I’m done I’ll do a “pre-mix” as half of my art is producing the music with effects and such. That way I’ll be able to experiment and be creative. I’ll then go to a studio and do the real mix with a qualified person and then master there or somewhere else.

I plan on posting some of the single tracks I record on here to get some feedback on each instrument’s sound and recording so that I can get feedback, etc. My goal is for it to sound as good enough to be along the music on the radio but I need to know if I have the gear and knowledge necessary for recording what I mentioned at home.

I have a mex fender strat I will use for all electric guitar parts and a 212r frontman amp, but I plan on going directly into my Emu 0202 soundcard and then through Guitar Rig 5, which I recently discovered with the electric guitars and the bass. I have a cheap maxtone bass I will use for the demo only. I also have a SM58 which I plan to use with the cap off for acoustic guitars and the vocals (using a CAD pop filter), and that again going straight into the Emu 0202. I’ve always used Audition but it always gives me problems as it’s not really built for this kind of thing, so I’ve started using Cubase 5 for this project and I’m pleased with it.

My PC specs are:
HP Pavillion DV8000t (year 2006)
Intel T2600 (2.6GHZ) Processor
2GB RAM Memory
Windows XP 32
I've also got a pair of small M-Audio Monitors.

I’m basically looking for any suggestions or comments on my plan and how to go about things, etc.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Doing the mixing yourself? That's a fairly old computer and 2G of RAM is really not enough, specially if you are using plugins like GuitarRig. Also your monitors probably are not the best, and you need to look at the room you are mixing in for acoustic treatment. An SM58 is a good all-around mic but really made for live vocal use. Not ideal for acoustic guitar recording, though it can be used.

Doing the mixing yourself? That's a fairly old computer and 2G of RAM is really not enough, specially if you are using plugins like GuitarRig. Also your monitors probably are not the best, and you need to look at the room you are mixing in for acoustic treatment. An SM58 is a good all-around mic but really made for live vocal use. Not ideal for acoustic guitar recording, though it can be used.

Well, I would just do sort of a demo mix first so that I have a clear idea of what to do when I get to the studio with the guy I would mix it with. I would do the final mix at a proper studio. Yes I'm aware the sm58 is not made to record acoustic guitars, but I've also heard it's the same thing as the sm57 if you take the cap off, so what are the expected effects on the sound? Is it really worth it getting the sm57?

Thanks!

I'd be having something other than just a 58 in your mic cabinet... Not to say it can't be done, but you might like something with a bit more detail from time to time...

I'd be having something other than just a 58 in your mic cabinet... Not to say it can't be done, but you might like something with a bit more detail from time to time...

How much more detail is it, and do you think it's enough to be worth getting the sm57? Like would you be able to tell if an acoustic guitar or vocals were recorded with a 58 without the cap or with a 57?

Thanks!

You can get results with any mic. Whether they work out or not depends a bunch on how you approach it and the tools you have. Not to mention the room. That being said, you can capture a performance with simple mics.

Here is a band of mine from 9 or so years ago. Recorded in a rehearsal studio with only 5 SM 58's and a couple of Radio Shack crappies.

Attachments

• Stolen 64.mp3
    6 MB · Views: 18
How much more detail is it, and do you think it's enough to be worth getting the sm57? Like would you be able to tell if an acoustic guitar or vocals were recorded with a 58 without the cap or with a 57?

Thanks!

Probably not. If you were to get another mic you might consider a condenser... but as Jimmy says, you can do it - depends upon a lot of factors though. I just think it's nice to have options, as long as you understand them and they don't cripple your thinking...

You can get results with any mic. Whether they work out or not depends a bunch on how you approach it and the tools you have. Not to mention the room. That being said, you can capture a performance with simple mics.

Here is a band of mine from 9 or so years ago. Recorded in a rehearsal studio with only 5 SM 58's and a couple of Radio Shack crappies.

I honestly think the guitar at the beggining sounds like crap, but man this reminds me that as long as the song and the mix is good you'll tap your feet and rock to the tune! Nice one, I guess the mixing was great on this one right?

Probably not. If you were to get another mic you might consider a condenser... but as Jimmy says, you can do it - depends upon a lot of factors though. I just think it's nice to have options, as long as you understand them and they don't cripple your thinking...

Great! I'm working on a completly untreated room, so I guess a new mic won't change much.

What about Guitar Rig 5? How far is it from the real deal? Would it be better to record through my real solid state 2x12 Fender amp using the 58?

I honestly think the guitar at the beggining sounds like crap, but man this reminds me that as long as the song and the mix is good you'll tap your feet and rock to the tune! Nice one, I guess the mixing was great on this one right?

Not a great mix by any means. That is the the point. The room was crap, the mics were limited and the gear used to record it was below par. But the song itself came through. At least in my opinion anyway. If you want to get great recordings you may be able to get there with cheap mics, but there are many other factors involved. I only posted this because it shows that a semi decent recording can be achieved with cheap gear/room. But it also shows in the end that it was recorded with such.

I have come a long way since I recorded this. Experience by doing and learning, makes way more difference than a mic choice alone. Taking the ball off a 58 is a minute change that is almost irrelevant in the big picture.

Last edited:
Great! I'm working on a completly untreated room, so I guess a new mic won't change much.

What about Guitar Rig 5? How far is it from the real deal? Would it be better to record through my real solid state 2x12 Fender amp using the 58?

Don't know sorry.. I don't use sims, I mic either of my tube amps (with a 57, as it happens). And I record everything in a completely untreated room too... there are ways...

Can you get a tone you like out of the Fender amp? If so, then experiment with mic-ing it. Note that when recording guitar "less distortion is more" (in other words, turn down the gain/distortion a little).

Can you get a tone you like out of the Fender amp? If so, then experiment with mic-ing it. Note that when recording guitar "less distortion is more" (in other words, turn down the gain/distortion a little).

Yes I do, I was actually asking cause I'm having trouble getting something I like out of GR5 but my amp has some craking noise issues that come up at random times.

I didn't know that about the distortion but it makes sense! Does that apply to solos aswell? Thanks!

but my amp has some craking noise issues that come up at random times.

I have a theory about this and maybe it's not your amp, but your guitar. I hear it sometimes on my Chinese tele and others have said they hear it on their MIM/MIA Strats and Teles. I think in dry, low humidity climates, static builds up on the pickguard and causes some crackling as your hand moves across it. I'm willing to bet single coils are more susceptible to this problem. Nothing conclusive, just a theory right now.

I know this is *home* recording.com but.... For what you want to do, home recording is the slowest, most expensive, and most difficult way to do it. It is sometimes the most rewarding way as well. You aren't going to get the star-making results you want in an untreated room with one cheap stage mic. You need 4 things- 1. The chops 2. Money 3. A good studio 4. A producer. Play those 12 songs until you can play them in your sleep on drugs without missing a single note. Then go to a good studio, and lay the damn tracks down. Then let the nice mixing engineer mix it, and the nice mastering engineer master it. You'll have plenty of time to get those chops down while you are saving the money to pay for all of the above. Use the time to learn about recording, and then get the equipment you need to to begin practicing the skills you will need to make good recordings. *Then* buy the top shelf gear to put in *the room you built* to use those skills to their best advantage.

What you're saying is, "I've got a dull knife. How do I go about performing an appendectomy on myself?" You need a doctor, an operating room, and a couple of nurses, so you can survive long enough to learn how to be a surgeon.

For the record, I did what you are talking about, and it took almost 3 years and about $40,000 (which I don't regret one bit). Now I own a pretty fair project studio that is still way short of pro level, and I'm nearly prepared to claim to be a tracking engineer. Good luck. You either need to be prepared to take the time and the resources to learn the *profession* of recording engineer, and acquire the gear and acoustic space to do it well, or pay professionals to help you do it. There is no shortcut to a quality recording. It *will* take time and money, no matter how you do it.

Yeah it's an expensive hobby but then again, guys spend thousands on fixing up old cars, hunting, an other hobbies. I picked music recording and before that it was live gigging.

I know this is *home* recording.com but.... For what you want to do, home recording is the slowest, most expensive, and most difficult way to do it. It is sometimes the most rewarding way as well. You aren't going to get the star-making results you want in an untreated room with one cheap stage mic. You need 4 things- 1. The chops 2. Money 3. A good studio 4. A producer. Play those 12 songs until you can play them in your sleep on drugs without missing a single note. Then go to a good studio, and lay the damn tracks down. Then let the nice mixing engineer mix it, and the nice mastering engineer master it. You'll have plenty of time to get those chops down while you are saving the money to pay for all of the above. Use the time to learn about recording, and then get the equipment you need to to begin practicing the skills you will need to make good recordings. *Then* buy the top shelf gear to put in *the room you built* to use those skills to their best advantage.

What you're saying is, "I've got a dull knife. How do I go about performing an appendectomy on myself?" You need a doctor, an operating room, and a couple of nurses, so you can survive long enough to learn how to be a surgeon.

For the record, I did what you are talking about, and it took almost 3 years and about $40,000 (which I don't regret one bit). Now I own a pretty fair project studio that is still way short of pro level, and I'm nearly prepared to claim to be a tracking engineer. Good luck. You either need to be prepared to take the time and the resources to learn the *profession* of recording engineer, and acquire the gear and acoustic space to do it well, or pay professionals to help you do it. There is no shortcut to a quality recording. It *will* take time and money, no matter how you do it.

Perfect yeah, the more I think about this project the more I start to realize what you talk about. Like I've said, I want to do my best at recording the vocals and guitars at home, post them here, get some feedback and I will then see if I really need more quality. I've just decided I'm gonna try my best at transforming my closet into a vocal booth. I'm not too worried about the guitars although I might as well use the same closet to put the amp in. We will see how it goes. In the mean time it's great you put practicing the vocals like that, I do agree the chops are #1 always.

Thank You!

Perfect yeah, the more I think about this project the more I start to realize what you talk about. Like I've said, I want to do my best at recording the vocals and guitars at home, post them here, get some feedback and I will then see if I really need more quality. I've just decided I'm gonna try my best at transforming my closet into a vocal booth. I'm not too worried about the guitars although I might as well use the same closet to put the amp in. We will see how it goes. In the mean time it's great you put practicing the vocals like that, I do agree the chops are #1 always.

Thank You!

Naw man, do not try to make a vocal booth out of a closet. Wherever you heard that from, it is just not a good investment. In fact, IMO, absolutely worthless.

Best to go with treating the largest room you have available. Even if just controlling the reflections around the mic, it is way better than butting yourself in a tiny box/closet.

In all of my years recording and on this site, I have never heard a good outcome or advice from building a closet vocal booth. Unless your closet is huge, has high ceilings and $1000+ in absorption materials, I would highly suggest against it.

Naw man, do not try to make a vocal booth out of a closet. Wherever you heard that from, it is just not a good investment. In fact, IMO, absolutely worthless.

Best to go with treating the largest room you have available. Even if just controlling the reflections around the mic, it is way better than butting yourself in a tiny box/closet.

In all of my years recording and on this site, I have never heard a good outcome or advice from building a closet vocal booth. Unless your closet is huge, has high ceilings and $1000+ in absorption materials, I would highly suggest against it.

What jimmy said ^

I said earlier in your thread that I record and mix in an untreated room but it's a BIG untreated room (at least for the singing) AKA my lounge room - about 50 sqm... and it's got lots of furniture and carpet and high ceilings and I know where to point the mic to minimise reflection issues... don't waste your time on the vocal booth thang... take over the biggest room in the house... :thumbs up:

Back