high-priced Gibbies

We've got the same guitar man, except the finish....mine has the coil taps too....The blue LP I was really wanting was a 2013 Traditional IIRC, but can't remember exactly what p'ups were in it, I don't think they were the 490T/490R that are in the one I have...It had white pickguard & p'up rings...

FWIW, this guitar is a lot better looking than the one I have, but I'm pretty confident mine would hold it's own against it playing & sound-wise...I fuckin' love that color though, I've got a blue MIM Strat & a blue 4-string bass too.....I even painted my new music room blue....If you didn't know already, blue is my favorite color.....:D

You ever think about swapping the butterscotch p'up rings/pickguard/selector cover for white??? I'd thought about doing that....And, I took my pickguard off a couple months ago...
I enjoy a nice blue guitar, too... I've got a Gibson ES135 that I bought around 14 years ago that has the blue burst finish and it is one of my all time favorites. When I used to gig, I would always either use that or my old SG that I got rid of.

I haven't ever thought about swapping the pickguard or pup rings; I kind of like that weird dark cream color. I am considering changing out the knobs though - the red/cream combo looks nice with the silver hardware and then...there's just randomly black knobs. Oh, well, one of these days. I'm getting it fixed up here next weekend to make it completely enjoyable; the knobs can wait.

Bill w Les Paul.jpg

Me playing my 1991 Les Custom in Cherry Red (exactly like a 335). My buddy has a newer Studio that sounds every bit as good as mine and he went through what Greg describes. Playing a bunch of them until he found The One. But I find this true of Strats and Tele's too. I guess we just expect more from Gibson because of the increase in price.

Nice Custom! I really am a sucker for Customs, even though they're functionally no different from any other Les Paul. I just love the look. That headstock gives me the boners.

I do find that Fender products are more consistent and predictable across the board. But admittedly, I'm not "in tune" with Fender guitars. They do nothing for me. Maybe that's why they're basically all the same to me. Besides obvious differences in neck profiles and pickups, a Strat is just a Strat to me. I don't notice the little things like I do with Gibsons. Fenders seem to have better production consistency and quality control.

Damn, Bill, that is a sweet looking guitar. I've always wanted a custom in white with the gold hardware - one of these days...

Minerdude, here's my ES135 in blueburst...
ES135.JPG
This was my second Gibson back in the old gigging days. Had a cherry faded SG before that but the SG was sold to pay some bills. This ES will have to be pried out of my cold, dead hands though. :guitar:

That's a beauty. BTW, any time those Fender amps need a new home, let me know. Currently have a 66 Bassman (head), 72 Twin, a Hot Rod Deluxe and 62 Princeton. Looking to add a Deluxe RI, Vibrolux RI and/or a Super RI and I really like the tweed Bassman. And I LOVE Princetons.

Wow, that's a gorgeous ES. I'd love to have something like that but I'd be in feedback hell with the amps and volumes I play at.

Wow, that's a gorgeous ES. I'd love to have something like that but I'd be in feedback hell with the amps and volumes I play at.
Not sure if it matters or not but I used to play through a 150watt Tech21 SS amp and a 4x12 Marshall cab and never had any issues with feedback even at higher gain settings. I found that if I turned towards the cab then it could turn into a problem but it was more or less something that could be used as an effect if needed. As long as my back was to the amp, no issues whatsoever.

That's a beauty. BTW, any time those Fender amps need a new home, let me know. Currently have a 66 Bassman (head), 72 Twin, a Hot Rod Deluxe and 62 Princeton. Looking to add a Deluxe RI, Vibrolux RI and/or a Super RI and I really like the tweed Bassman. And I LOVE Princetons.
Dude, if I ever get into a bind and need to liquidate some amp assets I will let you know. The likelihood of that happening is...well, slim to none though. :D

I only have one old fender, a Champ circa '78, that was a happy accident. The others are a Blues Jr. from early 2000's that I just had modded about a year ago (transformer changed out, bias trim pot installed, bright cap removed and some other minor circuitry changes). I threw an Eminence Cannibus Rex in it and it rips now. It has major balls instead of being a Blues Jr. The other is a "ProTube" Twin I got used not too terribly long ago. It has some issues with solder joints popping loose often but when it's running it sound great and gets super loud.

I've always lusted after an old 4x10 bassman myself...and a Deluxe Reverb...and just about everything on your list haha. There's a shop not too far away from where I live that gets old amps in all the time; they had a super reverb in there from the early 70's last time I was there and I almost pulled the trigger...there's only so much room in my music room though and I'm running out of real estate.

Not sure if it matters or not but I used to play through a 150watt Tech21 SS amp and a 4x12 Marshall cab and never had any issues with feedback even at higher gain settings. I found that if I turned towards the cab then it could turn into a problem but it was more or less something that could be used as an effect if needed. As long as my back was to the amp, no issues whatsoever.

I had a 335 for a very little while, about a month, and it would feedback real bad. And one of my bandmates has a 137? 135? I don't know. The big body single-cut like yours. I guess it's a 135 because it has the stop tailpiece. Anyway, his guitar can feedback pretty bad at practice volumes. At gigs on bigger stages it isn't so bad. So I just assume those things won't work for me. Maybe I need to try again because I really do like them.

So someone actually tried to make it into an Ace custom? That's hilarious. His middle pickups didn't work either. Neither did his neck pickups for that matter. On his smoker guitars the neck pickup wasn't even there. It was a trap door with a Super Distortion looking sticker on it. :D

I know he's fucking corny as shit, but goddamn I love Ace!
Smoker__99a.jpg
Lol.
Ace is so cool!
My was a carbon copy of this one in the pic...with the exception of it had gold hardware
I don't care if is was dubbed "clownburst" ...
It's by far my favorite les paul burst finish.

My wife still bitches, every time we see a clownburst LP on TV.
"You sold that pretty Les Paul that I loved and kept that old beat up strat"
Lol

Lol.
Ace is so cool!
My was a carbon copy of this one in the pic...with the exception of it had gold hardware
I don't care if is was dubbed "clownburst" ...
It's by far my favorite les paul burst finish.

My wife still bitches, every time we see a clownburst LP on TV.
"You sold that pretty Les Paul that I loved and kept that old beat up strat"
Lol

"Clownburst" is a pretty recent thing though, isn't it? Yall didn't call them that back in the day, right? I'm not old enough to know them from the 70s, but I only know the term "Clownburst" from reading it online from purist corksniffers. I think specifically they're Norlin era LPs where the red is too red, the yellow is too yellow, and the "burst" doesn't fade gradually enough? Something like that? It's like a bad word in Les Paul world. Fuck them. I think the Cherry "Clownburst" is killer. I've seen a few in person and I love them.

This would be a "Clownburst" that people hate.
DSCN2417.JPG

Yeah, the term "clownburst" is recent. Back in the day it was called "cherry sunburst". Like you say the Les Paul cork sniffers ridicule the finish bit it's my absolute favorite LP bust. The browned ones are boring to me. Also, I like the mid to late 60's stratocaster bursts with the bright yellow dye trasitioning to red and then black. I like that much better than the 2 tone 50's fender bursts.

What can I say....I like some bright yellow and bright red in a sunburst finish!
That is a fine looking Les Paul in that pic you posted by the way.

I will also say that those Norton Era cherry sunburst have faired better than their older counterparts on the finish holding up. The red and yellow in those finishes just refuse to fade.
Some of the late 50's and early 60's busts

I will also say that those Norton Era cherry sunburst have faired better than their older counterparts on the finish holding up. The red and yellow in those finishes just refuse to fade.
Some of the late 50's and early 60's busts

Those brownish 59s that everyone lusts after were actually pretty red to start with.

Back