High notes and (rock) screaming.

andrushkiwt

so, how about a break from all the "can i sing" posts for a short while and get to some more complicated aspects, including hitting the high notes and even into screaming. i'm not referring to growling screaming, like thrash metal, but more like something Nirvana would do, maybe even 30STM.

my understanding is it's mostly in the breathing and the ability to hit higher notes first. right now, i am able to hit B flat 4 (think this is the correct number) cleanly. I'm mostly a tenor range though I struggle with the very highest aspects of it, and i can hit the top of the baritone range. but we all know, or should, that there are many ways to sing a single note. if i want some gruff and yelling into it, it is difficult at first, somewhat easier after warming up, and sore after that. ha

i haven't heard many clinic tunes with rock screaming, so if there are any videos, articles, etc that someone can recommend, that's good too. Not unusually, i find that my middle takes (around 4th or 5th out of 8) are my best. i'm warmed up, but not exhausted or sore at that point. i have the uncanny ability to write my songs without singing them aloud until recording time, so the melodies are all in my head until it's red light time. then, i find they are usually pushing the limit but the key is perfect, so i don't want to change it.

anyways, i'm just wondering what advice/tips etc anyone an give on rock screaming...i'm aware that the dudes i referred to probably didn't go on a forum and ask "how can i do this?" lol. but i'm not much in the "scene" these days and am not around these singers like i was in the past...so, what do you all think? any good exercises for getting that passionate, desperate yelling to go smoothly? thanks!

Cant help you, the best rock singers Ive heard in here, Joey M, doesnt post anymore. He was/is pro level imo, well its how he makes his living so I guess its pro lol.

I just wanted to say that its nice to see a thread in here about a specific aspect rather than "can I sing"

hope someone can help...

Some of the best singers I've worked with create the "illusion" of screaming.
In other words they scream softly, not at a kid screaming voulume.
Singing at those scream levels will burn out your voice, not to mention make your throat sore.

I have heard from people (that were there) that Bryan Johnson from A/C D/C is actually a very quiet singer volume-wise.

Remember the mic picks up what is there, the the preamp brings it up in level, as will everything else in the chain.
It doesn't really care how loud you are.

Anyway, I'm not a singer, but like anything else, it takes practice.

Cant help you, the best rock singers Ive heard in here, Joey M, doesnt post anymore. He was/is pro level imo, well its how he makes his living so I guess its pro lol.

I just wanted to say that its nice to see a thread in here about a specific aspect rather than "can I sing"

hope someone can help...

Cool, too bad I wasn't around then to hear his tracks. And thanks, I debated posting since I dont hear much screams in the tunes in the clinic

Singing at those scream levels will burn out your voice, not to mention make your throat sore.

I have heard from people (that were there) that Bryan Johnson from A/C D/C is actually a very quiet singer volume-wise.

Remember the mic picks up what is there, the the preamp brings it up in level, as will everything else in the chain.

Ah cool, good advice. I'll practice doing it quiter rather than pushing until it feels like my throat is bleeding. ;) see how it sounds . thnx

Joey M collaborated with me on several songs I had written years ago. His voice is amazing. I wish he was still around.

Brother... Google 'Head voice' and learn how to use it. It will remove any strain from your throat when trying to sing really high stuff and when done properly, still has lots of power.

Also, sing live as much as you can. There's a big difference between singing on stage and singing in your living room. You need to get use to that, and the sound of monitors etc. I once read a quote from Duff McKagan where he said (paraphrasing) that they just sang so much when they were touring, they just learned how to do it. It didn't matter if they were sick, or tired, or anything, the right notes came out.

Hope that sends you in the right direction.

I'd always sang with my regular voice until a few years ago...definitely a tenor ..

Went to Catholic school and at least at my school they took singing seriously...we sang every day..

Took a voice class in college ...teacher was a bad ass opera type singer..that was about it..played in a prog rock band and did some back ups and a few leads but then hung up the performing for 25 years..

Joined a classic rock cover band ( the horror of it all ) a few years back after the kids moved out..

Was doing back ups and then the dummer who did about half the leads quit...and the load got tossed on me...went for it and it's worked out got me doing some stuff I'd never of tried ...like foot stompin music..yikes!

Forget who at the moment but someone in the clinic posted a weird version of like a rolling stone a few years back and it got me thinking...

I was driving and a idea came to mind I started messing with it..pulled up to the house ran out to the back room and laid it down..

Holy shit! nearly blew my vocal chords out ..they were sore for days... this is breaking all the rules but I guess as we age things change we start falling apart... I can still sing clean but I can sing raspy as shit if I want and because of that I have been experimenting with various approaches..

I posted one approach here doing Suzanne by Leonard Cohen..low n raspy...

Here's the version of Like a rolling stone I laid down a few years back...I'd equate it to Rod Stewart melded with Robert Plant and Janice Joplin kind of sort of...

The way I see it I haven't got all that many more years of pulling it off either way so I go for the gusto while I can...

Last edited:

Yep I think this is absolutely correct...

In live situations when the soundmen or lack thereof make it so you have to really Vavoom it sucks...when the soundmen have their shit together it's easy peasy..

I am not that loud of a singer but it sounds like it in these recordings ...like this one I really was able to take it easy and still get it to sound like I'm belting it ..Stay with me

I'm currently trying to teach myself to sing properly, but the start of the chorus of one of my songs needs a Nirvana style scream. I'm not having any success!

First and most importantly just like some people have blue eyes some have brown...Each person gets what they get as far as a voice and some are more commercially pleasing / acceptable than others. You may be a tenor or a baritone but you gets what you gets and you need to first figure out what you have and then work with it as best you can.

Then there's the "hearing" part of it, some people (rare) are born with perfect pitch...they just hear it plain as day and cringe when things are flat or sharp..some others are just flat out tone deaf and being able to sing on key is going to be a tough road to hoe for them no matter how hard they try or practice.....then there is the rest of us that fall somewhere in between the two.

First you have to determine where you're at in those 3 categories. Getting honest opinions is easy nowadays because of the anonymity of the internet. Don't ask your parents or BFF...You may be awesome, you may suck but it's hard for loved ones to be honest if you suck and if you're OK they may say you're awesome... putting it out on the cloud for strangers to comment on will tell you if you're going in the right direction or not.

The voice, when used as musical instrument, like any musical instrument requires practice to perfect or improve upon.

Either you need a very private place to practice or you have to be uninhibited / unashamed for people to hear you. BUT YOU NEED TO PRACTICE TO IMPROVE!

Another important fact is that unlike all other musical instruments that are ready to play at a moments notice, with your voice it really helps if you can warm up before actually going at it. In college I remember before concerts there were singers all over the place back stage doing vocal runs through chords.

Breathing and projecting from your gut ( diaphragm ) will help get the volume. From your throat softness.

Air running through your vocal chords creates the vibration that makes the noise, how you stretch the vocal chords creates the notes and your mouth and nose are the mixer...sing mostly through your nose..it's nasally. Just your mouth and it will be cleaner...IMO the fullest voices use a tasteful blend.

This is just my take on the voice based on what I personally have learned and observed

Last edited:
Back