Hi there home recorders :-)

MBRA75

I'm new to the homerecording world.
Yes, well, there it is ;-)

Hope to learn from you all.
Thnx in advance.

Welcome... This home recording stuff is easy. Set up the mic, hit record. It's playing the music that's hard! :guitar:

the instruments are easy to learn. fun to play.

Recording method for the radio sound is hidden knowledge. Secret db limited and mastering chains. Frustrating.

The bad news is, it will take a lifetime and most of your money. The good news is it will take a lifetime and most of your money.

I am just used to have others connecting the technical stuff for me, and now it is suddenly up to me :-)

OP you may already know this, but let me give my two cents. I think the playing part is difficult. I think creating it to be even more difficult. I think the recording it is no easy task. The mixing, EQ, and get each track just right. Then producing it, looking at the key, BPM, what instruments, sounds to choose, a dash of this, a dash of that. The you need to get it all down to two tracks so that the vision is presentable.

I believe while it is not cheap, it has to be the best money and time spent of any nonessential endeavor. Yes growing things, inventing new ways to improve the human condition, curing disease, those sort of things have a higher value. Nothing comes close to creating a great song that elicits emotion, thought, spiritual connection and just plain feeling good or sad (I do love a sad song) than music.

I think it is not as simple an undertaking as most people think. Don't get discouraged, it is difficult, but the payoff is worth it. :)

I am just used to have others connecting the technical stuff for me, and now it is suddenly up to me :-)
Well, if "others did for you" I guess you must be a fairly competent singer? Player? Both? What? That means you could get started with a very simple setup.
A USB mic, the Citronics CCU3* is pretty good (my son uses one on classical guitar for 'scratch' recordings) a pair of $25 Sennheiser headphones and some software called "Audacity" will get you started. Now, before the top blokes here wade in with all sorts of objections! Let me say at once that that is not in any way a 'professional' setup but to do better you would have to spend $150-$200 on an Audio Interface and much the same again on a microphone. Better headphones start at about $50.

Fooling about with the USB mic setup will tell you if you have the will to learn more and then buy better kit but the mic will always be handy for Skype or 'podding'. Audacity is basic but has the merits that it is easy to learn but better than that, EVERYBODY here, just about can tell you how to sort it.

Go'orn! Have a go!

*And you really need a boom mic stand. $25 but you can dangle it if pressed!

Dave.

Back