hi. I'm Chance Ogilvee....(condenser vocal mic question)

Buddy Lee

...and I was wondering what the best way to pick up chicks by becoming a musician would be. I know chicks totally dig guys that play guitar, so now that this is settled, here is my pic ladies.

pimp.jpg

Get in line ladies, there's plenty of time to get a piece of my pimp ass......

....ok, I'm just kidding. The real question I have is that I have an M-audio Omni i/o audio station connected to my computer for recording. I was using a cheap audio technica mic and the vocal sound was coming out very flat with a lot of hiss. I'm sure there are many different variables as to why, (room, connection, etc.) but I'm pretty sure it's the mic.

I'd like to get a nice cost effective condenser studio mic. What do you think would be the best one to get?

Would getting a tube mic preamp also help?

With any condenser your going to need some phantom power.
For that I would go with Audio Buddy preamp($80). its 2 channels, w/ phantom power.

For the mic, try out the Studio projects B1 ($80), Nady SCM900 can work ($70), Behringer B1 ($100). If you don't have a Sm57($80) I would test that out also. that will be good on just about anything for years to come.

Whats your budget?

Also try doing a search on Low budget condensers. Theres been alot of threads on cheap vocal mics.:)

Thanks for the reply. I've tried using SM57 and SM58, they work great, but I'd like to try a studio condenser mic. The m-audio omni i/o audiostation has phantom power setting.

My budget for a mic would be $250 or under.

Yor budget will allow an Audio Buddy and numerous condenser mic options. Among my favorites- Oktava MK319 (dark), AKG C2000B (bright), Studio Projects C1 (neutral). The C2000B is a dark horse often overlooked by people debating the merits of C3000B, C1000s, C4000B, etc. I don't really like C3000B at it's price point and I think C1000S is inferior to several cheaper alternatives, but the C2000B has become a versatile little workhorse. It's not the best mic for *anything*, but is the #3 or 4 mic in my cabinet for everything. I have used it successfully as a vocal mic, overhead, acoustic guit, and as a distant mic for guitar cab. I didn't really mean to buy it, but I got a new demo for $99, and couldn't resist the price, and I haven't regretted buying it a bit. The high end is mildly and pleasingly hyped, good for acoustic guit with a rock edge, and one of the best choices if I want a real crisp vocal with good definition.-Richie

Back