Hey Muttley!

TelePaul

J to the R O C
Hey mate, how are ya? Quick one for you, and I apologise, as I'm sure it has been asked before. I was wondering if it's easier for a luthier or someone in the know to set-up a guitar with one gauge versus another? Reason I ask is that I've used two different Luthiers here in Ireland for more complex stuff or proper set-ups, and both of them have steered me in the direction of 0.10's for my Tele.

It doesn't matter a huge amount to me, so I told this latest guy to have it and kick things up a gauge, but was just wondering fi fatter strings make for easier set-ups.

Cheers!

Doesn't matter what gauge strings you use. A setup is a setup. I recommend the heaviest strings you can handle simple because you can get a wider range of dynamics from them... If you use 9's and step up to 11 or heavier it's hard to go back without a new nut thats about it.. Many techs have less experience than luthiers and without being unkind they often have a smaller skill set as well but a set up is what it is, a guitar either plays right or it doesn't..

Hows you and your bro anyway?

Doesn't matter what gauge strings you use. A setup is a setup. I recommend the heaviest strings you can handle simple because you can get a wider range of dynamics from them... If you use 9's and step up to 11 or heavier it's hard to go back without a new nut thats about it.. Many techs have less experience than luthiers and without being unkind they often have a smaller skill set as well but a set up is what it is, a guitar either plays right or it doesn't..

Hows you and your bro anyway?

Hey man, thanks for that. Yeah I think this guy was pushing for heavier too, he builds some Jazzers so I guess he's a big fan of medium or heavy gauges. Looking forward to seeing how it feels - there's some wear on the lower frets, so I believe he'll level some of the upper ones and taper it off...I think. To be honest, I've forgotten quite a bit about about this in the intervening years.

We're both good man, and I do pass on your regards when you post here. I think he'll be back into the music scene before too long - right now, his number one priority seems to be fishing (followed quickly by the missus!). He's out on the river most weekends now. He got into fishing and I sort of got very into my job, making a very conscious effort now to get back into the music. He's still a better player than me though...the bastard.

I've used 9s on my Tele for 42 years ... Never needed to have another set up done, just an occasional tweak on one of the bridges to keep fret buzz down ... just saying ....

Hey muttley,
When are you going to walk through cutting a guitar nut with cheap ass makeshift files?
You mentioned it a while back. It's not like I'm breathing down your neck but hurry the fuck up man! I have a Tele I want to build and I have never cut a guitar nut before.
Sorry about side tracking this thread telepaul, but it is a "hey muttley" thread.

I'll get on it.

TBH I and JCH have also kind of made a commitment to posting up other stuff like the LP junior build etc but just as we were about to commit the site went tits up with the image posting thing and the response from admins and them getting on board has not been stella. On something like that lots of images are essential and now you can only post one at a time..I will try and do a basic nut cutting thread soon....

Hey muttley,
When are you going to walk through cutting a guitar nut with cheap ass makeshift files?
You mentioned it a while back. It's not like I'm breathing down your neck but hurry the fuck up man! I have a Tele I want to build and I have never cut a guitar nut before.
Sorry about side tracking this thread telepaul, but it is a "hey muttley" thread.

LOL! "Hey Muttley, my strap pin fell off, what is the right toothpick to superglue ratio here? k thnx bai"

What kind of a Tele are you jonesing to build man?

LOL! "Hey Muttley, my strap pin fell off, what is the right toothpick to superglue ratio here? k thnx bai"

What kind of a Tele are you jonesing to build man?

I already have all the parts except the bridge pickup.
Alder body
Rosewood fretboard neck (allparts 9.5 radius, truss adjustment at heel and not the headstock)
Wilkenson chrome and nickel bridge and hardware
Kluson tuners
Humbucker on the neck
Single coil on the bridge
Black pickguard
Metal flake gold paint (Buck Owens and Don Smith envy)
1966 fender Tele headstock decal (shhhh...don't tell anyone about the decal, I could be thrown in prison)

It's going to kind of be a match for my 1966 strat and loosely based on a 1966 tele....but I with a humbucker on the neck cause I want to rock a bit with it

Last edited:
Back