Tascam US - 144 Huge static / buzzing noise

jackm27

Hey guys
My name is jack - I am a singer songwriter from Dublin in Ireland

I just inherited a (relatively) old Tascam US -144 from my drum player and am trying to record a vocal (ATM 510) and compressor mike (AT2020) through it

I am running windows 7 home premium on a decent laptop and cubase 5. I have the latest tascam drivers installed, clock source set to internal and phantom power on

When I plug everything in, I get this quite loud static noise in both channels which is essentially just ruining my buzz (excuse the pun)

I wonder would anyone know any way of fixing this. I have tried warming up the interface and turning phantom power on / off / unplugging the laptop battery

I am just wondering if this is fixable as well and whether or not I should invest in a new interface and if so, which would be the best for my situation

I appreciate any help greatly and think this is a great forum you guys have here

Much love
Jack:facepalm::D:)

You said you unplugged the laptop battery - did you mean you unplugged the 110v power supply? Some of those are noisy.

Guys

Thank you so much for the replies, am sorry for the delay I have had a mental few days.

1. Yeah the power supply is unplugged alright which reduced some of the noise.
2. I tried the other USBs but to no avail - sound is still there
3. I am using headphones to monitor the output.

I am almost thinking of getting a USB hub - did that solve the issue 100% for you arcaxis? It would be significantly cheaper than a new interface. If I was to get one, which one would you guys recommend?

I wonder could I solve this issue another way - perhaps by trying to fix any inherent issues with the usb hubs?

Will try to post a sample of the noise ASAP

Really appreciate your help

Back