Hey guys really need advice...Mackie board

Cion

Hey guys, I'm rebuilding my studio and am currently using two Behringer MX9000 boards. Seems everyone hates these boards for some reason (maybe the copying and lawsuit situation, who knows) however, I wanted to try a new board since I've been using the MX9000 over ten years now. I was looking at the mackie sr56-8. I'm a outboard gear guy, and this seems to have the channels to replace the two Behringers. Thing is I was told this was a live board, however this particular model can very much be used in studio recording.

So, I need your take on this. Has anyone used this board, and is it a better choice than the MX9000?

My budget for a used board with the channels I need is about $2,500 maybe 3G.

Thanks guys!

Also ** If you guys can touch on something for me. An engineer friend of mines hates Mackie, he says their EQ is garbage, and noisy. Can yall give me an opinion on this. I've never used a Mackie board before. **

Please guys, can someone say something. I have to make a decision by tomorrow on the Mackie.

For the most part, you've been using a Mackie 8-buss. The MX9000 was a direct rip off of the mackie design.

The SR has some cool features that the 900 doesn't, but the SR only has sweepable mids, there is no bandwidth control (Q). It's a usable board, but it really isn't a step up from the 9000, it's almost exactly the same.

For a step up, find a Soundcraft Ghost.

The Mackie's EQ doesn't have the third knob for the bandwidth, so you don't have as much control as you could. The mackie's are kind of crappy sounding compared to a lot of other boards. But to get much better, you have to spend a lot of money.

For the most part, you've been using a Mackie 8-buss. The MX9000 was a direct rip off of the mackie design.

The SR has some cool features that the 900 doesn't, but the SR only has sweepable mids, there is no bandwidth control (Q). It's a usable board, but it really isn't a step up from the 9000, it's almost exactly the same.

For a step up, find a Soundcraft Ghost.

The Mackie's EQ doesn't have the third knob for the bandwidth, so you don't have as much control as you could. The mackie's are kind of crappy sounding compared to a lot of other boards. But to get much better, you have to spend a lot of money.

I was told that twice today by two engineers and you're now the third person. Thanks for responding, and the Ghost is something I'm looking for now...I'm not buying the Mackie. Thanks again. I hope I can find the Ghost in my price range, from what I see, most people want 5G+ for them.

I'll keep yall posted! Thanks again. :)

**LAST THING - How do you guys feel about recording and mixing with live consoles? I've been told that some create a lot of noise (never mixed with a live board), and if you can or do like live boards in a recording studio which is the best sound wise? ** Reason I asked because I was looking at a few Allen & Heath GL models and a few Yamahas like the PM2800. Thanks guys!

Last edited:
You should be able to find a Ghost for less than 5k. They have been making them for over 15 years, there are plenty out there.

The only real problem with a lot of 'live' boards will be the lack of recording outputs, tape returns and mix-b. There are ways around it (direct out, line in, aux), but it is always a little fiddly.

Nice live boards are just as expensive as decent studio boards. A Midas Heritage or a Yamaha PM5000 would be nice in the studio, but those things cost more than $50k new.

You might look at ebay for a decent recording console from the 80's or early 90's. Sometimes they go for super cheap, relative to what they cost new.

We use the Allen Heath mix wizard for live mix and live recording with good results. In the studio we use the Yamaha PM 2800 which is Great. I found that used on e-bay for $800. with road case and road case for the power supply it was a steal! Really good mic pres, great eq section, 8 aux out plus matrix, 24 channels in with all the bells and whistles. I do see them every so often up for action.

As far as recording with boards meant for live sound, I use a 32 channel Midas Venice and am very happy. It's very quiet, has plenty of routing options, and the eq, when I use it, sounds fine.

As far as recording with boards meant for live sound, I use a 32 channel Midas Venice and am very happy. It's very quiet, has plenty of routing options, and the eq, when I use it, sounds fine.

Yes... but its a Midas... not a Mackie.

I have one of these also and if it weren't for the fact that it's always on the road for live stuff it to would be in the studio.

I can't imagine spending more than $100 or a bit more on anything Mackie or Behringer ever made.

If you have a few thousand you shouldn't be considering those brands... just my opinion.

The Yamaha digital mixers are a poor man's best choice, I don't know if anything else in cheapzone even comes close to them, plus the effects are good.

Ok guys thanks for all the great advice! I didn't get the live board because I was told they create a lot of noise. The live boards I looked at was the Yamaha 2800, and I believe the 3000, and a RAMSA forgot the model. However I decided to purchase the Ghost LE32. Please let me know what you guys think.

I know it's better than a Mackie and Behringer, however was that a better choice than a Yamaha 2800 - 3000, Yamaha M3000A or Allen and Heath GL3300 - 4000?

Thanks Guys!

The Ghost is a great board that has all the bells and whistles that make recording and mixing through it very easy. It will hold it's own or even better all the boards that you mention. The next step up from something like the Ghost will be in the $20-50k range.

I'm using a Mackie 24.8. Was pricey new, but can be found used in great condition for as little as $500 (clearly your budget is well above that, so I'm not recommending this to you). I guess it might be considered "outdated" now, but still a great sounding board with more features than one would ever use. I do have to say that the Ghost is nice, and if I thought I needed a new board, I would put that on the list of options.
As far as Mackie sounding "crappy"...that is an opinion, and not a tangible fact. No matter what you look at, everyone is going to have an opinion, some will love it, some will hate it. Trust your own ears, and form your own opinion.

Would be interested in an update on how you like the Ghost after you have been using it for a bit.

Last edited:
General reasons why there is little love for Behringer boards, and why there is less and less for Mackies:

Behringer boards have earned a reputation for SHUTTING down when they get a little hot. Of course, this usually happens at the most inopportune times- like, right in the middle of a recording session or live show. Nothing you can do but shut it down- once it cools off, it comes back- until the NEXT inopportune time...

Mackie is now making their boards in... China- the same place Behringer boards are made. A persistant rumor has it that the VERY SAME SUBCONTRACTOR is making Mackie boards, as Behringer- EVEN ON THE VERY SAME ASSEMBLE LINE. And guess what seems to be driving that rumor? You guessed it- Mackie boards are now shutting down when they get hot.

I will only buy a MIA Mackie board, just to be safe.

Back