Here's a pic of my room...Treatment Recommendations Please!!!

neffi7

i'm wondering where is the best place to place my mic
....i was thinkin of the corner where the a/c vent is located...and just pad up the walla in that area with some foam for echo resistance.....wat do u guys think? pls excuse my lack of knowledge on this....as i am about to set up for the first time....just got my equipment

i'm wondering where is the best place to place my mic
....i was thinkin of the corner where the a/c vent is located...and just pad up the walla in that area with some foam for echo resistance.....wat do u guys think? pls excuse my lack of knowledge on this....as i am about to set up for the first time....just got my equipment

Hi neffi. Might have better luck in the Studio Building & Display forum towards the bottom. :)

I'd offer some advice but all the room treatment experts hang out there.

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist...

You might wanna try knocking out a couple of walls, open up some space...looks kina cramped.:D

Wow..I've never walked into such a room. It's like impressionist paintings. Question, when you walk into there, do you turn into a piece of cubist art as well?

First off, TM is just kidding with you. It's not a "pic" of your room, it's a blueprint of it. Twas a joke and nothing more.

Ignore chess, but you don't have to anymore cause he's banned, so yeah...

Anywho:

It's really hard to make recommendations on your room without a pic (an actual one) to go by. With a bed and stuff in there, you're not gonna have enough room to get good room sound IMO... I'd deaden the walls so you don't get slapback echo (from parallel walls bouncing sounds back and forth). Try putting plywood that's bent in a semi-circle on the walls to diffuse sound. Auralex also sells diffusers as well (I got a roominator kit for 400 that came with square panels, bass traps and diffusers.

www. auralex.com

..........and no, egg crates won't do a damned thing! LOL :D

First off, TM is just kidding with you. It's not a "pic" of your room, it's a blueprint of it. Twas a joke and nothing more.

Ignore chess, but you don't have to anymore cause he's banned, so yeah...

Anywho:

It's really hard to make recommendations on your room without a pic (an actual one) to go by. With a bed and stuff in there, you're not gonna have enough room to get good room sound IMO... I'd deaden the walls so you don't get slapback echo (from parallel walls bouncing sounds back and forth). Try putting plywood that's bent in a semi-circle on the walls to diffuse sound. Auralex also sells diffusers as well (I got a roominator kit for 400 that came with square panels, bass traps and diffusers.

w w w. auralex.com

..........and no, egg crates won't do a damned thing! LOL :D

Maybe he should say it is a joke. It looks like huge sarcasm, and I took it as the guy making fun of the poster.

So you would "deaden the walls so you don't get slapback echo". What would you do this with, and how would you assure that you don't mess up the already fairly significant imbalance of RT time across the frequency spectrum that already exists in common stud and sheetrock rooms in a house?

It appears that your solution is to use foam products. :( Great, I can lower the RT time of frequencies above around 500hz even more now and spend a cool $400 on something that won't really address much of the real issues going on in the room, which is going to be stuff much lower than frequencies foam products are actually effective in dealing with.

neffi7, a man named John Sayers has an excellent website and BBS concerning studio design. I think you will want to head to it, and get some advice on making some simple bass traps and a few Helmholtz Resonators. These are the two most important acoustical treatments you can do in a room.

Please look into this before you waste a bunch of money doing sound treatments that won't address the issues that really make your room suck.

im recordin just vocals...nuthin else...just hiphop vocals

This will save you a lot of money then.

It's good to treat the room for mixing too, but right now I'd personally worry more about getting a good vocal track recorded.

What you can do, is just deaden one area of your room and record there. It looks like you have a pretty big closet.

I'd buy some 2" thick absorber panels (or make them) that use OC 703 rigid fiberglass. These will absorb pretty much all the frequencies in the vocal range pretty well as far as I know. I think 4" would be overkill.

You can buy the panels from this site, which is where I'm getting mine:
http://www.atsacoustics.com/

Particularly, this kind:
http://www.atsacoustics.com/item--ATS-Acoustic-Panel-24x48x2--1001.html

Use several of those in your closet, and maybe some Auralex foam to spot treat some smaller areas although that may be unnecessary.

You could also just get a few and set them up behind the mic. But the point is to deaden an area of the room and absorb most of the reflections. This will get you a nice, detailed and dry vocal recording.

I really don't think he was being a dick man....

People on this board are NOTORIOUS for being overly sarcastic, and not really answering questions that OP's ask...

What does "opening a window and singing to the neighbors" answer about a treatment question?

I'm all for light-hearted joking around, but at least try to aid the poster after you're done stickin' it to 'em....

Just my .02

-Joel

I really don't think he was being a dick man....

People on this board are NOTORIOUS for being overly sarcastic, and not really answering questions that OP's ask...

What does "opening a window and singing to the neighbors" answer about a treatment question?

I'm all for light-hearted joking around, but at least try to aid the poster after you're done stickin' it to 'em....

Just my .02

-Joel

That is about what I was thinking. I have lurked here for a long time and have observed this. It is funny, because it seems that many of these people who have become "notorious" for being overly sarcastic are pretty quick to call others "dick heads, assholes, and jerks". It also seems that the website owner only selectively does anything about this kind of behavior.

That is about what I was thinking. I have lurked here for a long time and have observed this. It is funny, because it seems that many of these people who have become "notorious" for being overly sarcastic are pretty quick to call others "dick heads, assholes, and jerks". It also seems that the website owner only selectively does anything about this kind of behavior.

stick around awhile longer....it gets even better ;)

Back