HELP!

penfloor95

I have a Tascam 414 MKII, and I use it to record guitar, and my keyboard.
As it is hooked up now, I have the left main out from my keuboard, going into the Left MIC/IN. And the same for the right main out, except going into the right MIC/IN. I have panned them accordingly so I could get a stereo recording, but for some reason, when I play my recording back it's only only on 1 channel. Also there is a lot of distortion when my bass parts come in, which is really frusterating. What can I do?!?

Penfloor95,
I have the same machine and use it for basically the same purposes. I think instead of pluging in to the back with your keyboard imputs you need to plug into the channel 1 and 2 inputs,pan to 3:00 and 9:00 respectively and record. That will give you your stereo sound . Then you can bounce it back to one track if so desired.
As far as Bass distortion you didn't specify whether they were bass guitar lines or Keyboard Bass notes thast were distorting so I can't be of much help there. Most likely a clipping problem tho.

Well I do have the inputs like you said, but I will try the 3:00, 9:00 position. As far distortion, it is coming from my keyboard. I am wondering if it is the Tape that I am using. I normally use TDK typeII's and occasionally I will use a MAXELL metal typeII.
Thanks for the info. I will try it out, now as a matter of fact.
Thanx

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by penfloor95:
Well I do have the inputs like you said, but I will try the 3:00, 9:00 position. As far distortion, it is coming from my keyboard. I am wondering if it is the Tape that I am using. I normally use TDK typeII's and occasionally I will use a MAXELL metal typeII.
Thanks for the info. I will try it out, now as a matter of fact.
Thanx

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well I just did try the 3&4 and sure enough it works as easily as everyone just said. So I guess my first channel is busted or something!
Still have a little a distortion. Very little actually. Wondering what I can do to change this. I've tried recording kinda low. Since my keyboard has a EQ, should I turn down the Bass on it( which I have tried) and just tweak it with the Tascam, or should I just record with the low EQ at -0+ and then use a processor to bring out the Bass to where I want it?

Yo Penfloor 95:

How's the beer over there at this time of the year? I'll bet it's VUNDERBAR!

Try raising your low EQ by 25% and cutting your hi EQ by the same amount when you are mixing down.

This should give you a rounded bass that sounds like a bass.

Experiment and you will find the sound you want.

Salute`

Green Hornet

Hey Green Hornet

The beer is lovely, and not to expensive, just the way I like it!
But I got everything running smoothely, but the time I was having problems with my stereo recording, I must have blown out channel one.

Is this even possible? I mean I used channel one the other day, and I thought I got a recording on it, and now I can record anything on channel one. So I moved my inputs to channles 3 & 4 and I get stereo.
Hmmmmmmmmm, what could be wrong?

Your keyboard should be connected to line/in on the 424. Not MIC/INS. Does your 424 have line/ins?

Line/in and MIC/IN are two different input levels. Line in for electronic instruments. MIC/IN for microphones.

Yo Penfloor,

I'd recommend only using Type II cassettes in this 4-track - that's what the owner's manual recommends. I don't remember if it specifically said NOT to use metal tapes, but I've heard other people recommend against using them. I don't know if they can actually cause problems, so this may not be what caused your situation. In any case, your probably better off using tapes your 4-track was designed to work with.

Have one of those good, cheap beers for me too.

Back