help with vocal booth

candelamusic

im gonna get a 4'x4'x7' vocal booth. Im thinking on using the 2'' wedge foam. should i mix it with 4'' foam and different thickness or use the 2'' for the whole booth? or should i use the 3''? ill appreciate any ideas or opinions, im only going to use it for vocals.

OC703 is cheaper and more effective. It's about $1 per sq ft for the 2" stuff. I'm doing something similar soon, that's what I'll be using for sure.

Foam is great for high and mid frequencies, but doesn't do much for lows. The OC idea is pretty solid as well. A problem that may surface in that booth is a boomy, dead sound. Boomy in the low mids and lows, but dead in the highs. You could try to squeeze some bass trapping in there, maybe. Normally you don't want two of the same dimension in a booth also. Just my two cents.

im gonna get a 4'x4'x7' vocal booth.

Are you purchasing one of the pre-fab units from WhisperRoom or Vocalbooth.com? If so, best to use their treatment kits, which are designed specifically for their booths.

The ones I've used typically have uniform treatment across the walls, but thicker, more dense treatment in the corners. The wall treatments aren't absorbers, per se - they're acting more as diffusers to prevent echoes.

im actually buying the DIY booth from somebody that doesnt needed anymore, but it's only the wood without foam or anything. thats why im trying to see wich would be the better way without it being so expensive. what you think

If it is bare wood...what about a box of Auarlex foam wedgies. I think they are about $100 for a dozen. but if DIY is the way to go...you could experiment with the old foam mattress topper and restaurant grade egg spacers--about a square foot covered by each. I'm not sure either will absorb or diffuse as much as the "pro" tiles, but it may be a cheaper way to start.

Best,

and restaurant grade egg spacers--about a square foot covered by each.
Best,

Collective wisdom says egg cartons are useless. A lot of people here try to dispell the egg carton myth for acoustic treatment. It might scatter or diffuse high freq's, but mids and lows will go right through, bounce off the wall behind it and come back out again and you will have a boomy vocal booth. I don't have experience with egg cartons, but I believe their reasoning based on low density material. The best bang for the buck is OC703 or equivalent.

I'm no expert and don't pose as one, but I can suggest superchunk method in the corners and panels on the walls. Lots and lots of discussions, including my own questions, in the Studio Construction section. Go check it out. There is also a stickie with lists of suppliers for 703, rockwool, etc. I'm picking up 6 panels on Wed for $10 each. (2ft x 4ft x 2inch)

The other alternative is no vocal booth. The bigger the room, the better for tracking vocals. If noise is an issue, try to eliminate the offenders, computer, a/c, kids :eek:, etc.

have fun!!!

just wondering if low frequencies are really an issue when recording vocals? i know i basically cut them out when i'm mixing or even when i'm tracking. Do you really need bass traps in a vocal booth? who's voice really even gets that low in the first place? fundamentally aren't most voices mid rangey in frequency?

Back