Help with Sound on a Vocal

Composerdan

Hi Guys:

I am trying to get a quality sound on my daughter's vocal. I have always had the problem of audible spikes ( I like to call them) that really are not overloads on the meters. They are well under the red but they just every once in a while pop out at you. I was told that I need a compressor limiter so I bought one but I think the biggest problem is that I don't understand how to work the darn thing. I even went to the trouble to build a sound booth with 6 inch walls, insulation, 1/4 inch particle board and carpet on each side and on the inside I put egg crate foam 1 inch thick. I am also doing some carpeting on the walls of my control room and ceiling with the same foam. I am using an AKG 414 mic and the compressor/Limiter is the DBX 1066 and the Mic preamp is by Universal audio. I am recording with the Roland 2480 work station.
I know there is no set answers on the settings of these devises but if someone can help get me in the ball park I would appreciate it very much. Other than the audible spikes that seem to be happening, other than that the sound is fine. Someone once told me that getting an aural exciter would really help the vocals but I really don't think one of those would fix this spiking problem. Like I said, it isn't spiking the meters at all it just jumps out and hits the ear drum occasionally. I am also unsure of the setting on the AKG 414 itself.
The signal path that I am using is as follows and I seem to still have the problem. From the mic I am going into the preamp and then out of the preamp to the compressor/limiter and out of that into the Roland 2480.
If anyone can help me I would so greatly appreciate it very much. I look forward to hearing from you. My email is: taylor777@verizon.net

Thanks again

Dan

Hi Guys:

I am trying to get a quality sound on my daughter's vocal. I have always had the problem of audible spikes ( I like to call them) that really are not overloads on the meters. They are well under the red but they just every once in a while pop out at you. I was told that I need a compressor limiter so I bought one but I think the biggest problem is that I don't understand how to work the darn thing. I even went to the trouble to build a sound booth with 6 inch walls, insulation, 1/4 inch particle board and carpet on each side and on the inside I put egg crate foam 1 inch thick. I am also doing some carpeting on the walls of my control room and ceiling with the same foam. I am using an AKG 414 mic and the compressor/Limiter is the DBX 1066 and the Mic preamp is by Universal audio. I am recording with the Roland 2480 work station.
I know there is no set answers on the settings of these devises but if someone can help get me in the ball park I would appreciate it very much. Other than the audible spikes that seem to be happening, other than that the sound is fine. Someone once told me that getting an aural exciter would really help the vocals but I really don't think one of those would fix this spiking problem. Like I said, it isn't spiking the meters at all it just jumps out and hits the ear drum occasionally. I am also unsure of the setting on the AKG 414 itself.
The signal path that I am using is as follows and I seem to still have the problem. From the mic I am going into the preamp and then out of the preamp to the compressor/limiter and out of that into the Roland 2480.
If anyone can help me I would so greatly appreciate it very much. I look forward to hearing from you. My email is: taylor777@verizon.net

Thanks again

Dan

As a general rule of thumb set the compression between 2:1 to 6:1 and set the threshold so the highest level of volume causes about 5db of noise reduction for a subtle limiting on vocals.

Back