Help with purchasing synth...

Ricky Denim

I live in australia and i have a budget of about $800 to $1200 to spend on a synth that is mainly used for recording purposes. A nice sounding piano is probably my main priority.

So far i've been told to look into the Roland Juno-D and Korg X50 but reviews im reading are 50/50 with people finding as many faults as they do likes.

Im going into some stores to play tomorrow but thought i'd get some suggestions before I go. Anything you could suggest would be great!

I live in australia and i have a budget of about $800 to $1200 to spend on a synth that is mainly used for recording purposes. A nice sounding piano is probably my main priority.

So far i've been told to look into the Roland Juno-D and Korg X50 but reviews im reading are 50/50 with people finding as many faults as they do likes.

Im going into some stores to play tomorrow but thought i'd get some suggestions before I go. Anything you could suggest would be great!

Have you thought about software synths? I like the Korg legacy Collection which is like the M1, m20, polysix,wavestation... gives you lots of really nice piano layers. Are you using a software based DAW?

Have you thought about software synths? I like the Korg legacy Collection which is like the M1, m20, polysix,wavestation... gives you lots of really nice piano layers. Are you using a software based DAW?

I agree...with your budget, you could get a decent midi controller and several software packages with awesome sounds. I use Reason 3, Hypersonic, Arturia Moog modular and Minimoog with a Studiologic controller (weighted keys for piano action) and a M-audio radium for synths. All of this if purchased on sale will run for less than $1400 us. The good thing about this is that the software can be kept up to date with new samples, instruments, etc fairly inexpensively as well as the midi controllers. You will need a good computer to use them, however. The Arturia and Reason work as stand alone or as VST instruments in your recording software. The stand alone is handy when u just want to fire up the instrument for practice.

For strictly recording use, I wouldn't even think of a hardware synth in the under $1000 range. You can find lots and lots of free VST's online for all sorts of instruments, and of course all the great commercial ones. At this point, software just makes a lot more sense.

I really like the Yamaha S90 and almost got it. I went with the Roland Juno-D because the price was right, and weight and size was really, really important(you can't ask for a smaller, lighter 61-key ax).

Nice software...I've used it myself. While I would agree you can get some nice piano layers, I wouldn't consider this for a nice realistic piano. It can provide for some nice 80's ballad, stacked, layer stuff, but for solo piano stuff I'd reach for something different. Even in hardware, I couldn't really recommend Korg for anything piano.

For strictly recording use, I wouldn't even think of a hardware synth in the under $1000 range. You can find lots and lots of free VST's online for all sorts of instruments, and of course all the great commercial ones. At this point, software just makes a lot more sense.

I really like the Yamaha S90 and almost got it. I went with the Roland Juno-D because the price was right, and weight and size was really, really important(you can't ask for a smaller, lighter 61-key ax).

Juno-D is a nice board. A guitar player friend bought one to play live, and it really does have some nice sounds in it.

I'd still take my Motif 8 over it though :D Certainly not comfortably portable by any means.

Try to find a used Kurzweil PC2 for pianos. But I agree with prestomation. If this is going to be mainly for recording use rather than live performances, you'll find some software that will cost less than half what you're budgeting for and sound great.

Juno-D is a nice board. A guitar player friend bought one to play live, and it really does have some nice sounds in it.

I'd still take my Motif 8 over it though :D Certainly not comfortably portable by any means.

Exactly.
I drag both a guitar rig and a keyboard rig to gigs. I keep both as simple as possible, a sub-15lbs keyboard and guitar with a 1x12" combo.

For strictly recording use, I wouldn't even think of a hardware synth in the under $1000 range.

+1

I would without question stick with a soft synth and controller.

Here you go:

Excellent piano, keyboards, and synth sounds

For just Piano but its the best for just that.

and this Controller has great feel and options.

You could get all this and still be under your budget. Not to mention, these will sound better (IMO) than ANYTHING in that range. (or above to me)

As dnkygirl said above, soft synths are really nice and MUCH cheaper than hardware synths. If you have a decent computer, get a cheap midi controller (I've seen 49 key controllers on Ebay for next to nothing) and check this out...

Look at Akoustic Piano from Native Instruments. I would have supplied a link, but you have to have 5 posts to be able to add links to a post. Just check out native-instruments.com and look at Akoustic Piano.

That plugin has GREAT piano sounds and only costs $449 US.

Back