Help with PC requirements

Steve West

I am getting my gear together for computer mixing and I need to know what PC requirements I need.

I will be using 2 ADATS through a DAKOTA card into SONAR 5 for mixing. I would like to be able to do a 16 track mix and save for recall. How much RAM would I need? How large a hard drive let's say for 15 16 track mixes? Could a one song 16 track mix be burned onto a CDR to save hd space?

Thanks,
Steve

Athlon 64 3200 or higher
gigabyte makes good motherboards
1 gig pc3200 ddr
120 or higher HD or 2 hd's. one for OS and one for audio
win XP pro
that should be a decent start.............

Sonar recommends 512 mb of RAM, but as usual, the more the better! As far as HD space, again the more the better.... for 15 songs at 44.1/16 with 16 mono tracks each, a guess would be about 12 to 15 gigs of storage required total (double that if you're talking about 16 stereo tracks each). So, you could fit a song onto 1 or 2 CD's for archival purposes (or get a DVD RW and fit the whole album on 2 or 3 discs). Finding a 120 gig HD for cheap is not that hard these days, so you probably wouldn't be needing to back up too often (other than for safety).
And B rad is right in recommending 2 separate HD's... no matter what the size....
Good luck!

Thanks much! So it is possible to store a 4 min. song taking up 12 tracks on to a CDR? Spliting a song into 2 CDRs would not be a problem for storage?

Thanks,
Steve

No problem Steve!
Yes, if you're just archiving, you can split up the various files created in the making of a song onto as many different disks as required - just make sure you put them all back together in the right place if you need to un-archive them...
If you can swing it though, a DVD RW will make your life a lot easier, you can fit 4.7 gigs onto those...

Back