Help with kick and snare

McShredsAlot

Hey guys. I was just curious how you all go about mixing your kick and snare. I downloaded a few raw DI tracks of some bands and I'm trying to mix them for practice. I'm using SD for the drums. I know some of the basic eq tricks like boost the low end of the kick and high end to get the click. And boost around 200htz of the snare and some high end for it to cut through the mix. I just can't get those "big" sounds if that makes sense. I do have a bunch of free samples of kicks and snares but I use Aptrigga cause I can't afford drumagog at the moment. I don't have a problem with sampling the kick but the snare gets a little weird since Aptrigga doesn't randomize samples like drumagog so it's obviously sampled when there are snare fills. I'm just trying to figure out how to get those "big" drum sounds like metal core bands using eq and such. Any tips are helpful!

The kick drum is the one that's on the floor using a peddle mallet and the snare is the one in the stand using sticks. :D

group drum bus with small amounts of Drum Room verb with heavy compression

Yep, and parallel squash the hell out of them. Send from the drum group bus, to an effects bus, with devastatingly heavy compression. Pull it up under to get a more 'in your face' sound. Of course, this only works well, if the drums sound worth a crap to start with. It should help with what you have.

Seriously, works on both PC and Mac. :)

Inside joke with Jay guys.

Works on everything but crap. :)

Oh yeah, that's what I have. PC crap.... Never-mind. lol

(re-post)

I meant to say, I am very sorry, but I am very arrogant about my love for Apple computers, and I wish not to be so much anymore. I realize now, that is not true, and I wish to apologize to Jimmy and all who have witnessed my harassment towards him, and all users of PC's. I wish I had the computer savvy to be able to comprehend such a massive beast of a computer. All I have, is a bank account, that allows me to believe, that my computer is better.

Sorry everyone.

Jay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course, this only works well, if the drums sound worth a crap to start with. It should help with what you have.

Not sure which sounds he's using...but I find the SD drums to be pretty darn good out of the box, they just need to be tweaked to taste and song style.
They are extreamly well recorded. There's some sound choices for the individual pieces I don't care for...but there are as many and more choices that are quite good.
Kinda' makes the setting up of a kit and doing all the miking/tracking, something to consider compared to using the SD stuff, especially if you're not a drummer and you don't have the great drum room.
Anyway there are some beefy kick and snare samples there.

Thanks guys! Right now I am using samples because I can't seem to make the kick sound good by itself. I am also parallel compressing but it's on the whole set. I haven't quite figure out how or if I can route single drum channels with my daw.

(re-post)

I meant to say, I am very sorry, but I am very arrogant about my love for Apple computers, and I wish not to be so much anymore. I realize now, that is not true, and I wish to apologize to Jimmy and all who have witnessed my harassment towards him, and all users of PC's. I wish I had the computer savvy to be able to comprehend such a massive beast of a computer. All I have, is a bank account, that allows me to believe, that my computer is better.

Sorry everyone.

Jay.
LMAO!!!! I'm dying write now LMAAOOOO!!! ????? HAHAHAHAH!!!!

Unless you have a well tuned kit and a great room, drum sounds can be tough. I hate to say it, but samples - as a replacement or to augment.

Back