Help, traynor reverb humms!

So I bought a vintage 1969 tr-2 traynor reverb tank. It sounds really good, but it makes a bit of noise (electrical humm?). The noise is directly linked to the "reverb" control knob. I know nothing about electronics, and I'm wondering if there's a quick fix for the problem. There is also no ground on the original plug (if that makes a difference or not). The unit looks like THIS.

Thanks,
Hope someone can help me!

Pull the AC plug from the wall, flip it over 180-degrees, and put the plug back into the outlet. If the noise went away, have a tech replace the old AC cord with a 3-conductor type. Heck, replace it anyway. And have him check the filters and do a general tune up.

Remove the nut from one of the power transformer mounting bolts, put a solder lug on the bolt (preferably one with an internal lock washer), and replace the nut. Add a little loc-tite if you want.

Img85.jpg

Solder the ground wire from the new AC cord to the ground lug. That's it. Well, you need to get the black and the white wire 'right', and remove any line bypass capacitor.

thanks for all the help, flipping he plug reduced the noise to a normal level (if i could only find out what makes every amp in my room make funny noise!)

Back