help the newb.......no sound output in radio studio

SteveinAlaska

OK, this is how it went. I recorded several songs onto a reel-to-reel tape recorder. Work flow went like this....TEAC 3400 reel-to-reel>Tascam MK122 PC interface>Adobe Audition 3.0>finished CD(or so I thought). The CD would play at home in my player, would play in my laptop. Then I went to the radio station, did a sound check with both CD players in "cue" and the music played The moment of truth came, I went on-air......and nothing came out(DEAD AIR!!!!:eek:). I recovered,went to an LP, finished my show. I tried the CD at my son's place, it played on his player. E-mailed the station techie guy and waiting to hear back from him. But I pose the question to the forum- What the *^%#@% did I do wrong??? Learning to work with this software, the home recording thing will/is largely a self taught thing, but this forum I will turn to and I do have some local people also. So any thoughts/comments/suggestions welcome. Thanks

Well, if the CD played on a lot of other machines as you describe, then we can probably assume that all the format related things were okay. To be a "real" CD, the material must be 16 bit, 44.1kHz sampling, stereo wave files. Some players will handle other things (like MP3 or funny sample rates) but many won't so it's always safest to stick with the standard.

In your case, my guess would be it was an unfortunate interaction between the CD blanks you used and the radio station players. I've seen some radio CD players that get a real hammering with tons of disks going in and out all day that end up needed a good cleaning of the optics--if your disks were slightly borderline and the players getting dirty, the playback could be dodgy.

It might be worth experimenting with some name brand blank disks to see which do best in the studio players.

Back