Help requested with an older firewire set up

Jae_

Hi, guys. I am on a deadline to record some vocal tracks and I am having some ongoing technical problems that I hope someone here can help me with.

Equipment:
Windows 7 64 bit laptop
Presonus Firebox interface
Sterling ST55 mic
Cubase SE

The computer I used to use for recording no longer works, so this is the first time I am trying to use this with my laptop. My laptop did not have a 6 pin firewire port and so I have installed a compatible express card.

I had this working fine two days ago and then I went to swap out the XLR cable on my mic for a better one and it stopped working. Now Cubase can't detect any audio device.

When I go in Cubase and set it up to select the Firebox ASIO, it is sometimes there as an option and sometimes not. If it is there and I can select it, I can only get sound coming out through my headphones, but no microphone is detected.

What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance for any advice!

If you're a long term Firewire user, you likely know this but FW can be very fussy about switch on order. When using a Pro Fire Lightbridge I had similar intermittent problems, I eventually found I had to power off the computer, plug in the Express card, connect the interface into the Express, and only then reboot with everything hooked up through the boot process. As long as I kept working it was very reliable but, if I left things for a period of time, I had to go through this rigamarole all over again.

The other thing you likely know already is that most FW gear is fussy about the chipset in your express card--it generally must be the TI one for reliability. I had to shop around to find one that specified the chipset--and it wasn't one of the $14 specials.

I tried reinstalling the drivers last night and ditched the express card, running it instead through a 6 pin to 4 pin firewire cable directly into the computer. It started working fine after that, but now I go to boot it up today and I can't hear any sound or record anything.

Back