HELP! - pops & clicks...aaaaaaaaah

Funky_A

I just unpacked all my new bought stuff, a Motu 1224 & a Microphone SM ProAudio PR8 pre-amp.
I connected everything and started recording after a couple of hours figuring out how to get rid of these clicks & pops I give up. It only gives the problem on impact and from what I notice the mid & high frequencies.

Here is a link with the recordings so you know what I talk about:
http://www.burningpassion1.com/mp3/

Please help me out.. :confused:

Also maybe usefull to tell, nothing is clipping!!!

Thank you,
Funky

Where are you hearing the clicks and pops? Those files sound pretty good to me (at work, with headphones on). Perhaps there is a problem in your playback chain? Don't despair.

Don

I tried them on different speakers and different computers but I keep having the problem everywere. It sounds like it's clipping, but it can't be because I turned the gain almost completely down. You can hear it clearly on every hit and if I hit a cymbal it's just frightening how much there is.

OK, I can hear it now. I had to turn the volume all the way up. Are you sure you're not clipping somewhere along the line? Percussion transients can be pretty sharp. What kind of mike are you using?

DonF said:
OK, I can hear it now. I had to turn the volume all the way up. Are you sure you're not clipping somewhere along the line? Percussion transients can be pretty sharp. What kind of mike are you using?

Yeah 100% sure.
Uhm snare is Shure SM57, and on toms Jefe AV PMM34...
Indeed these mics on toms are not top quality but when I put the SM57 on still the same or when I put a sennheiser 421 from my bass drum up to the toms it keeps having the problem.

What are you connecting the MOTU to? That stuff is notorious for not playing well with certain systems.... I bought a 2408 that I ended up returning because it wouldn't play nice with my CPU/Mobo combo.

Bill

vaultstudio said:
What are you connecting the MOTU to? That stuff is notorious for not playing well with certain systems.... I bought a 2408 that I ended up returning because it wouldn't play nice with my CPU/Mobo combo.

Bill

I have it connected on the PCI 324 pci card that came with it.
I use a AMD Athlon XP 2800+ and a Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe.
I have 512MB ram on board.

Still gives me the problem since I got it on a seperate IRQ and also I have got the sync setup for internal.

Strange.. :o

Ok...I found out WHAT it is..now I only need to fix it..haha...that's where I need help.
I tink my buffer isn't up to it.

Check this message that I get back from cue-mix
Suggested buffer size: 4096. Current latencies: Cue mix 645 smpl [14 ms], Client round trip 4229 smpls [95ms]. Max interrupt latency 43 ms.

And after awhile it ran up to a buffer size of 8192!!!
So just used 2 channels in the recording but it still said suggest buffersize 4096 but there were no constant distortions but just here and there a few pops and clikcs..a lot less!!!!

So the Motu driver option only can go to 2048.
What is this problem and how to fix it.?!?

Cheers.

Back