Help Please - Boss BR-1600 or Korg D1600 Mk II

dptone5

I record guitar instrumentals. Have a number of Marshall heads and cabs and a few really nice guitars.

Started recording a few years ago with a Boss BR-600. Really liked the sound I got but it was limited.

A friend recommended a Korg D1600 Mk II. Great flexibility, but everything sounds so much more sterile to me. It doesn't sound as good as the BR-600 did for mic'd guitar tracks. The first few songs I completed, I recorded with the BR-600 and mixed it on the Korg. Now that I'm trying to record guitar tracks on the Korg, they sound so sterile and digital.

I have a DR-880 now for drums and need MIDI capability and more tracks than the BR-600 offers. Not going the computer route yet, maybe someday.

Has anyone compared the BR-1600 and the Korg D1600 Mk II? Which has better overall sound quality, particularly for recording guitar through amps.

Thank you very much!

DP

Don't know either, just wondering is that comparing just basic recording quality- ie not plus effects' or what have you?

Correct - just basic recording quality. I have a Lexicon effects unit and I like both the FX on the BR-600 and Korg. I just compared a few rhythm and lead tracks (core recorded tone) and the BR-600 is so much more alive and less sterile than the Korg.

Both are recording digitally so, barring any frequency issues shoudl sound the same. Are you using the same microphone(s)? How are you listening to the tracks?
The BR-600 had default FX that would automatically be used when recording a new 'song' track - did you have those disabled, or perhaps that's what's missing from the Korg sound?

Same mic, all things are the same, listening to tracks through monitors, headphones and after burning a CD, in the car stereo. Recording Dry on the BR-600 with no default FX added. Great questions and thanks for trying to help.

Do you think the internal pre-amps are different? Would using my ART Tube Pre-Amp help warm up the sound of a dynamic mic?

Thanks!

Picked up a Boss BR1600. Wow, what a difference!! The recorded sound is much better and the mastering tool doesn't make the recording sound "dampened" like the Korg. The recording is very much "alive" sounding.

Back