Help picking out audio interface

ad0lescnts

howdy,
i'm lookin for an audio interface for a PC that has at least two inputs, but also has optical ADAT capabilities. Are there any out there for a fair price?

Thanks
Tyler

ad0lescnts said:
howdy,
i'm lookin for an audio interface for a PC that has at least two inputs, but also has optical ADAT capabilities. Are there any out there for a fair price?

Thanks
Tyler

Cheapest one I'd touch with a ten meter pole is probably the M-Audio FW1814. While I haven't used the ADAT parts of it, I own one and regularly use its S/PDIF (coax) and analog I/O. It's a pretty decent piece of hardware.

I suppose there's also the Echo Gina 3G, but it's almost as expensive (open box/refurb notwithstanding) and is quite a bit more limited (not to mention being PCI---see my rants on the death of PCI and why I wish it would die more quickly).

thanks for the reply dgatwood,
I did a search on your posts and i can't seem to dig up any info on problems with PCI except you said they'll be outdaded soon by a new pci something or other... Are there any other problems with PCI? I was looking at the Gina 3G and it looks a lot more appetizing due to its price of 280 rather than 500 for the M-Audio. Thanks for the help

Tyler

yeah I am interested why so against PCI? I would guess they could outperform any firewire interface...no?

ad0lescnts said:
I was looking at the Gina 3G and it looks a lot more appetizing due to its price of 280 rather than 500 for the M-Audio.

I doubt it will ever go away entirely. I wouldn't not choose PCI because I was worried about it being discontinued. I might not choose it if I was looking for something that I could use, at some point, with a laptop. But if I were desktop bound, I wouldn't worry about that just yet. Someone will come up with some sort of "PCI adapter" or something like that if worse comes to worse, because there will be a market for it and money to be made off of it.

Back