Help (Mixer Picking)

iced

im going to be pawning like all my shiz (Sub, Old stereo mixer, Cd Changer) on tuesday so i should have around ... 160 bucks.. and im gonna look for a mixer while im there... now.. i record into my comp.. so i use a computer, mic and bunch of programs.. so is a mixer necissary? like will it help me? ... and i do have a sound card.. but like how would i hook it up? .. also what type of mixers do i look for... now they have like tons by the turntables.. now are those ... specificly for turntables or could those be used as standerd mixers as well? lol i have alot of qustions.. but if you could respond asap .. b4 tuesday .. that would be great!

iced said:
im going to be pawning like all my shiz (Sub, Old stereo mixer, Cd Changer) on tuesday so i should have around ... 160 bucks.. and im gonna look for a mixer while im there... now.. i record into my comp.. so i use a computer, mic and bunch of programs.. so is a mixer necissary? like will it help me? ... and i do have a sound card.. but like how would i hook it up? .. also what type of mixers do i look for... now they have like tons by the turntables.. now are those ... specificly for turntables or could those be used as standerd mixers as well? lol i have alot of qustions.. but if you could respond asap .. b4 tuesday .. that would be great!

You might be able to use a mixer, or you might be able to live without one. They are useful for their pres, maybe their EQ, and for routing of soundcard out to headphones and monitors. What soundcard are you using?

For your budget, the little Yamaha MG 10/2 or Soundcraft 4
are frequent recommendations.

As for phono mixers, those are special in that they have a phono input. Regular mixers don't have those. A DJ-style mixer could work for output routing I suppose--what model mixer do you have?

mshilarious said:
For your budget, the little Yamaha MG 10/2 or Soundcraft 4
are frequent recommendations.

I'll throw the Peavey PV8 in as a suggestion as well.

What kind of sound card do you have? If it's the sort of card that comes with the machine, you might be better off saving your money and upgrading that.

You probably don't want a mixer designed for turntable use. The equalization curve for records is designed for records. It isn't particularly flattering on anything else.... :D

I dont have a mixer ... Im asking what should i look for when i got to this pawn shop on tuesday.. and i have a Creative Sound Blaster PCI

iced said:
I dont have a mixer ... Im asking what should i look for when i got to this pawn shop on tuesday.. and i have a Creative Sound Blaster PCI

The first thing I'd look for is a better sound card. That would make a -much- bigger difference than a mixer. You can feed the best audio quality possible into a Sound Blaster and it will still sound like... well... a Sound Blaster. Let's see... you said $160.... If you can scrape up another $20, you might consider something like:

M-Audio Audiophile 2496: $99.95 (2-channel interface)
M-Audio AudioBuddy: $79.95 (2-channel mic preamp with phantom power)

That should be a decent combination for recording.

Back