Help me with my studio acoustics

vangore

Ok a little bit of background first, this studio was built by my father as a recording studio and the room in the drawing is the room is the live room, the control room of the studio is being used for other purposes unfortunately.

None of the walls are square as you can see in the drawing,
the walls are 1" board on the outside with 4 inch studs and 4 inches of that yellow fiberglass insulation and there is 1/8" plywood on the inside, the cieling is the same and the floors are white pine boards, the window is double glazed.

sorry for the scetchy description, if there is any other details you want il do my best to oblige, thanks

Attachments

• studio.JPG
    studio.JPG
    14.2 KB · Views: 103
Okay, so what do you want to know? Are you going to be recording and mixing in this room, or just recording and then mixing elsewhere? If you're asking about acoustic treatment, I'd start with bass traps in as many of the corners as you can manage. Pretty much all rooms need bass trapping. While having non-parallel walls can help to some degree with slap echoes, bass wavelengths are much longer and aren't affected much unless the walls are angled pretty steeply.

Read this, it'll tell you a lot about what to do.

http://www.ethanwiner.com/acoustics.html

Im using this room for everything, mixing and drums micing cabs and even vocals,
im in the prosess of reading that article already, i also need to know where would be the best place to set up my mixing area with respect to monitors and whatnot.

the walls are 1" board on the outside with 4 inch studs and 4 inches of that yellow fiberglass insulation and there is 1/8" plywood on the inside, the cieling is the same and the floors are white pine boards, the window is double glazed.

In regards to the insulation, do you know if this is rigid fiberglass or loose batt type? The reason is very simple. IF, this is rigid fiberglass, you already possess the makings for excellent absorbers. Removal of SOME of the 1/8"panels in the PROPER locations would offer broadband absorption in these locations, and create a RFZ(Reflection Free Zone) at the engineering position. Since the 1/8" paneling offers virtually zero isolation value, removal allows for penetration of soundwaves into the fiberglass. You could RE-cover these openings with a fabric of your choice. This method is called an INSIDE OUT WALL ASSEMBLY, and is illustrated here.
http://www.saecollege.de/reference_material/index.html

You will also notice SLAT absorber construction may be utilized on this type wall also. Which is not only a hemholtz resonator design, but looks great too.
You should investigate all the information at this site, as it offers an overview of many aspects of control room/studio acoustics, as well as recording in general.

However, if improving isolation is a goal, then disregard this suggestion. Adding mass, especially decoupled mass would be the method of choice. But then, acoustical treatment would be required also. If the existing isolation is ok, the 1/8" paneling would have very little to do with it, hence my suggestion . But this still is only valid if the existing insulation is INDEED RIGID FIBERGLASS.
fitZ

RICK FITZPATRICK said:
In regards to the insulation, do you know if this is rigid fiberglass or loose batt type? The reason is very simple. IF, this is rigid fiberglass, you already possess the makings for excellent absorbers. Removal of SOME of the 1/8"panels in the PROPER locations would offer broadband absorption in these locations, and create a RFZ(Reflection Free Zone) at the engineering position. Since the 1/8" paneling offers virtually zero isolation value, removal allows for penetration of soundwaves into the fiberglass. You could RE-cover these openings with a fabric of your choice. This method is called an INSIDE OUT WALL ASSEMBLY, and is illustrated here.
http://www.saecollege.de/reference_material/index.html

You will also notice SLAT absorber construction may be utilized on this type wall also. Which is not only a hemholtz resonator design, but looks great too.
You should investigate all the information at this site, as it offers an overview of many aspects of control room/studio acoustics, as well as recording in general.

However, if improving isolation is a goal, then disregard this suggestion. Adding mass, especially decoupled mass would be the method of choice. But then, acoustical treatment would be required also. If the existing isolation is ok, the 1/8" paneling would have very little to do with it, hence my suggestion . But this still is only valid if the existing insulation is INDEED RIGID FIBERGLASS.
fitZ

No its not rigid fiberglass its the itch fluffy stuff and it rips the shit out of your lungs, that site looks great as does the john sayers one, thanks guys.

Back