Help me select a multitrack

Niles

I want to find some sort of multitrack for my son and I to experiment with as well as recording my band. I'd like to spend less than $500. Most of the newer digital units with all the FX and built in goodies, only record 2 tracks simultaneously and some have very limited record time. I came close to buying a Tascam 424MKIII cassette unit but I was afraid that I would regret not going digital and having all the built in goodies.
Any advice????????

If you have a fairly new pc, you may want to consider a multi-input soundcard, ie, Delta 44, 4-input @ $230 and multitrack software - anywhere from $50 on up.

Get FOSTEX MR-8 multi-track 8track recorder package with gig bag, Mic and headphones for $350 thenadd a 512MB upgrade cfc for about another $100. There thats $450.

Cheers

Yo Niles:

"User friendly?" I think that is an oxymoron in the recording world. Depends on your background and experience, etc.

Kind of like "portable" would work with many units but some are larger than others and I don't know how much banging around an HD digital recorder can tolerate.

I would think that after the Xmas shopping days are finished, there will be some great deals as newer boxes or SIAB are forthcoming.

I just saw the Yamaha AW16, pretty user friendly from what I hear, probably portable if handled gently, on sale for just over 1k.

Of course that doesn't fit your budget but again, how good do you need? Just for fun? Then, go with the lower priced models. You can find them in AMS or Musician's Friend, or several other catalogs -- just get them on the net and ask for a copy of their latest log.

I'd try and go digital and you do want a SIAB for portability.

Merry Xmas
Green Hornet

:cool: :D :cool:

Both are good, I own an MR8 and have had no problems and is easy to export data to your puter if that's what you want to do later on.

You can click over here and check out some of my production work. I'm only using MR8 with KORG X3 Workstation as my sequencer with the lead synths, pianos and organs being played live. It all needs improvement but thats why I will be cleaning it all up with my CakeWalk software soon.

http://www.nowhereradio.com/benrillo/singles

Back