help me kill the squeal from my les paul

tomb

ok guys i know this is far from recording, and not even sure if this is the right place, but you guys have helped all times before. here is my problem. i have a crat vh-140c which took over fro ampeg when they quit making them. it is a solid state smp with real heavy thick distortion. my last badn i just sang, but now ive started a new band with me playing guitar. we play like disturbed and godsmack, real tight rythym with alot of stops. of course every one stops and my guitar has feed back. ive tried switching to clean channel, but i end up switchign back and fourth about 30 times or more in oen song. i also sing, so this is causeing problems. will a rocktron hush stop the feed back? i have bought jeff beck 69 humbucker pickups to try and eliminate the squeal, but it hasnt helped. we are a very heavy band so i cant get rid of the distortion. thanks in advance. i have asked local bands around here how they get rid of it, but this region is not very band friendly. meaning most bands wouldnt piss on you if you where on fire in another band. sad to me to see that. thansk guys, if this is wrong place maybe send me to the right area. thansk again.

have you bee nto a pantera concert or sepultura, god smak or any of them. they all crank out the gain on 10 and have no feedback. i was looking on guitargeek.com and they say that dimebag uses a rocktron silencer. so im wonderign if the rocktron hush will work for me.

Well, the guys from Helmet always used to put noise gates on their effects loops. If that is not enough on it's own, you could trigger that from the side chain, using a clean guitar signal. I don't know who all is making them these days (I don't pay that much attention to that side of things). But a noise gate is what you want.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Pantera, Godsmack, etc. have sounds that are CRUNCHY. The gain staging on the average Crate is going to make you FUZZY.

If you listen closely, especially to Godsmack, there's no "hair" on the guitars - It's very "clean" CRUNCH.

You have too much gain and probably not enough mids going on.

Other than that, a noise gate "might" help a little to make the stops more stark. However, unless you can control the gain, the gate won't close.

Try mic'ing up that Crate with the gain down - You may be surprised how much crunch there is at less than full-out gain settings. This is one of those things that always made me crazy about Crate amps - They sound huge in a room, but tiny to a microphone until you really mess with it.

Back