les paul feed back? please help

tomb

ok guys i know this is far from recording, and not even sure if this is the right place, but you guys have helped all times before. here is my problem. i have a crat vh-140c which took over fro ampeg when they quit making them. it is a solid state smp with real heavy thick distortion. my last badn i just sang, but now ive started a new band with me playing guitar. we play like disturbed and godsmack, real tight rythym with alot of stops. of course every one stops and my guitar has feed back. ive tried switching to clean channel, but i end up switchign back and fourth about 30 times or more in oen song. i also sing, so this is causeing problems. will a rocktron hush stop the feed back? i have bought jeff beck 69 humbucker pickups to try and eliminate the squeal, but it hasnt helped. we are a very heavy band so i cant get rid of the distortion. thanks in advance. i have asked local bands around here how they get rid of it, but this region is not very band friendly. meaning most bands wouldnt piss on you if you where on fire in another band. sad to me to see that. thansk guys, if this is wrong place maybe send me to the right area. thansk again.

Like Q said, post this in the guitar forum, you would get a lot more replies.
It sounds to me like you're playing to loud. Causes can range from microphonic pickups to poor shielding, but I'm willing to bet that it's just a volume issue.

yeah, i posted this in guitar fourm. only thign about volume is this, my drummer has vinnie paul remo set, which is a very loud kit. so you have to crank to be heard. but thanks anyhow.

Ever heard of finesse and dynamics?

It's the exact opposite of rookies bashing away at their instruments at full strength and/or volume.............

wow thats kind of unfair. i am far from a rookie. when we play shows i actually turn the amp down becaue they have good enough monitor systems. this is for practice only. maybe this is the wrong board, because its nice peopl are replying back, but i dont think many are metal players. ahh well thanks anyways.

tomb said:
wow thats kind of unfair. i am far from a rookie.
Well hell... then you should know what I mean when I say Finesse.....

But if you know this, then why are you having the feedback issues? If you were getting "tone", then you wouldn't need as much gain as you're using, incurring unnecessary feedback!

I'm not trying to insult you at all, but your 2+2 isn't adding up to 4!

What would you do in a studio? Most of the time BIG sound doesn't come from LOUD.

Feed back is hard to avoid, when everything is set to 10. Try using your volume knob or volume petal, to bring the volume down below the feed back point, when you're not playing. If you have a parametric eq, you might try finding the feedback frequencies and cutting them.

Try using a noise gate, then when you palm mute the breaks it should drop below a set threshold level and give you complete silence...ahhh.

Once again the Bear has revealed the stark naked truth of the matter in a very stark and naked manner. If you're not a rookie then you've already discovered how to deal with feedback. If you are, then you should listen to people with experience. Be nice to the Bear and he can probably give you some very good advice.

Get one of those clear shields for your drummer or just have him tone it down a bit.....give him some Valium... and turn your volume down.....reposition yourself and your guitar in relation to your amp (get further away from the amps..turn your guitar to different angles.) You're just simply too loud methinks.

i didnt mean to be disrespectful. i guess i am a rookie when it comes to feedback, i guess maybe i took it the wrong way. like i said on stage i turn down because there is a killer pa system with great monitors, so they get my amp at loud levels without the feedback because i mturned down. at practice room we have a 250 power amp and 2 15s, so i cant mic and turn down. last night i turned the gain down half way. some of the feed back stoped, but also my metal cruch was not as present. i have been playign for 8 years. we have no problems sellign out clubs we play and getting huge mosh pits going on. i guess thats why i said i am far from a rookie. but after thinking, bottom line when it comes to tone and db and all that stuff i am a rookie. i just know turn it up till your ears bleed and it sounds good. its worked this long, just now im starting to get intolerant to stuff liek that. so i am tryign to become a better musician. so i really do appreciate the help you guys give. thanks for everything guys.

Is your practice room treated? If you can put up some abosorbers on the walls it will make the room less loud and allow everyone to hear themselves better.

What year is your Les Paul? It sounds like your pickups could have become microphonic. In that case buying some decent aftermarket pickups like some Seymour Duncans or Dimarzios may do the trick. Also, there are little tricks that you learn in high volume settings that can help, like trying to not let your guitar directly face your amp. If nothing else works, you could always just turn down the volume on your neck pickup and just flip your toggle switch up during the breaks.
I have a late '60's Les Paul Deluxe and I had the same problem until I replaced the stock pickups, also if you have a tech do the job make sure that you get your old (stock) parts back. Kinda ironic, but I've also had the old Ampeg SS140C in both the head and 212 model and those amps kick, and I regretI getting rid of them, they're decent amps. Hope this helps.

There are times, and styles of music, where playing every thing at ten is the only choice. It is important to learn how to control the sound, and it is possible to control it on a guitar which is in working order. If you absolutely can not control it, you need to take your guitar to a good repair guy, and see if they can find a problem.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Back