help me get started...

James HE

a spoonfull weighs a ton
I live in this basement.

;)

really i do. There is this 7x7 cubby that I want to turn into a recording booth. I've been saying this for about a year now, lol. And I've been mostly putting it off, er.. waiting to figure out how to put in a door, exactly how i'd want to frame it, scavaging materials etc.. I think i have it ass backwards, really what i should do is treat the existing space and be done and start friggin recording in there!

The existing space is 3 brick walls, the cieling is drywall, probably screwed dirctly into the floor joists for the apartment upstairs, which (assuming it's like the rest of the place) does have a single layer of insulation. So it's a 7x7x7 cube with one open wall. HOLY FREaKING STANDING WAVES!!!! If i stand in there and hum a lower note the reverberation is as loud as my humming.

My plan was to fur out the walls with 2x4, throw in some insulation and cover it with drywall. I'm thinking however that that will not be nearly enough to tame the lower frequencies that bounce around in there. How can I build it to trap the bass with out cutting so much into the dimentions of the space?

I know it's a big advert for Auralex, but start reading this

www.acoustics101.com

Then think about how to apply that without breaking the bank.

A tip - On some of my walls in my studio I have this think, dense black foam stuff - which I got from an army surplus supplier, apparently it's the stuff they use to soundproof submarine engines!!! Works really well.

Hope that helps,

Stu

really i do. There is this 7x7 cubby that I want to turn into a recording booth.
Exactly what do you mean by "recording booth"?:confused: First, will this be a booth for isolating a mic or a complete control room that you can record in as well?
Second, are you trying to keep sound from transmitting to the apartment above? Have the neighbors above complained about sound transmitting into their apartment YET? We need some answers in order to help you achieve what it is you are trying to achieve.

fitZ:)

Back