HELP!! Is my hard drive toast???

tlee2951

OK I'm sitting here trying not to panic. Luckily I did do a backup fairly recently. Here's my situation: Like most of you I typically store all my audio to a 2nd hard drive, in my case a Western Digital 160 MB drive partitioned as FAT32 split so that drive E has 80 MB and F has 80MB as well.

So I'm sitting enjoying myself playing my favority piano soft-synth the PMI Bose and suddenly my machine hangs. After I power off I notice my drive is not recognized as being a formatted drive anymore. YIKES!!! If I click on it I get the message "The disk in drive E is not formatted. Would you like to format it?" Interestingly enough my drive F (which is the same physical hard drive) still shows up OK which, unfortunately doesn't give me much consolation since most of my audio is on drive E.

So am I dead meat as far as my drive E is concerned or is there something I can still do to attempt to recover all my audio? I'll forever worship and praise the name of anyone who might be able to help me out. Certainly wouldn't be the first time this forum has gotten me out of a bind.

Might try a disk recovery utility. All kinds on Kazza to "try". It could be a fat table that's hosed. I think it stores a copy of the fat table and something like Norton Disk doctor can fix it.

You could Google up "data recovery". Should give ya some clues as to what you may be able to do.

Good luck ... hope it works out for ya.

If the boot record gets hosed, the drive can act the way you describe. There are a number of tools that may help.

One I use is BootItNG from www.terabyteunlimited.com. They have partition tools that can recover drive data many times.

Some Norton tools may also help.

Ed

Thanks to all of you for the suggestions. I've got a friend in the IT dept. where I work who has some of the utilities you describe to recover files. I'll give them a try and see how it goes.

Back