Drives - how to use them and where to install stuff?

lukasz.jan95

Hi guys,
so I decided to finally upgrade my rec. studio and now I'm stopped by some questions I found hard to answer to myself.
First of all this is what I have right now:
Dell Latitude e6520 Intel i7; 8GB RAM; 256 GB SSD drive; win7 OS
and I've just bought hybrid drive SSHD 1 TB and casette for it to put it inside of the laptop instead of DVD optical drive (haven't applied it yet)
I use USB interface NI Komplete Audio 6
Where should I keep my Win7 installed. Shoud I keep it as default, so SSD? Should I make any partitioning?
And then where to install Cubase and VST plugins for it (Miroslav Philharmonic eg)? Where to keep wav files that are used by Cubase in projects? This is all very difficult for me to imagine what the database uses and how it should be tracked to use 100% of this hardware's capability. What about partitioning on 1TB drive? Also, I want to mention that I won't be using this laptop for any other purposes than recording... I do have my other laptop that runs for all daily usage.
Please reply, this is all very tangled. If it's possible please try to explain why this method will be best as I want to finally understand the work that computer has to do to make it all work smoothly.

Thanks in advance

The generally accepted wisdom is that you have the OS and DAW programs on the system "C" drive, your SSD in this case. You would probably want to put any other actual PROGRAMS on the SSD as well, e.g. a drum program such as BFD also any drivers for external devices, e.g a MIDI kbd.

Sample banks go on a separate drive. The actual recordings you make can go on another drive as well, you can almost certainly "tell" the DAW which drive to use.

In any case get a USB 3.0 external drive and back up all your work on it. Good idea to also image the C drive (and that of other computers) on the USB drive as well. Belts and braces! Get a NAS drive and stick it out the way and back up backups to that!

This is stuff I have learned here and there over some ten years, I am NO digital guru! Most of my larnin' came from...Sound On Sound | Recording Techniques | Audio Technology | Music Production | Computer Music | Video Media forum and their mags. Go there as well.

BTW. I would not bother with partitions, just make plainly labelled files.
Dave.

Back