HELP!!!! I NEED PARTS

junkyardearl

Over time I've aquired enough equipment to start doing my own home recordings. The only problem is that some of the stuff doesn't work. The main problem is the open-reel 8-track recorder. It's a TEAC 80-8, and the heads are gone. I mean they're worn to nothing. Do any of you know where I could possibly get heads for this thing, and maybe how to get them hooked up? Any help would be great.
~james

There are several companies that will refit your recorder with new heads. Unfortunately, it will probably set you back about the same as another second hand 8-track would... :(
Maybe relapping is an option? That would maybe cost you $100-200.

Yes, another sad face.

This relapping that you were talking about, is that replacing those worn-down pieces on the heads? And now you say that would be like over $100 huh. Man, that's rough for an old 80-8.

If I was to order the heads, without installation, what do you think that would run me? I have a friend with this dad that's like a technical genious electrician type, perhaps he'll come in handy. At any rate, thanks for the help you'bve given already.

~james

I don't know what heads for you machine would cost, but they are MUCH more expensive than relapping. Think 5-10 times more. So were talking $500-$1000...

No, relapping doesn't replace the worn parts, instead, it removes the non-worn parts, so that the head regains it's original shape.

IMO, don't do anything unless you have problems. When your head wears down a lot, you are supposed to get problems with the edge tracks, the volume should drop and flutter and things like that. If that aint happening yet, and you don't have $100 to spend, don't do anything, just go on recording.

No icon, that may be improvement!

I guess I should have told you all exactly what was happening first. The thing is that some of the tracks aren't working at all, some are extreamly muffled, and one (I believe track 4) works perfectly. Just thought I'd get all that out into the open.

~james

Guess what!?

The 8 track worked all along! I don't know what was going on, but when I used it a year and a half ago the drummer of the band I was in at the time and I couldn't hear anything, but that one track. Today I plugged it in so I could give you guys more info on the situation. Guess what!? I was listening to a great recording of that drummer and me saying "test" a bunch of times.

I guess this means that I'll be talking to all of you a lot more now. Thanks for the help...

~james

Yo JunkYardDog:

Get all your friends to drop a few bucks into your soup pot and get yourself a new recorder; something that you will enjoy and when you turn it on, it will work.

Electronic technology recycles about every 90 days, or less!

Thus, I would say when you spend money to repair a 1949 Ford, you still have a 1949 Ford. [I really had a 1949 Ford and it was a great car because it ran with three burned out wheel bearings and more other sicknesses than I want to put in here..]

New is nice; but, listen, look, and evaluate what is it you want to do and what will make you happy when you play back the results.

Green Hornet

Teac 80-8 Parts

junkyardearl said:
Over time I've aquired enough equipment to start doing my own home recordings. The only problem is that some of the stuff doesn't work. The main problem is the open-reel 8-track recorder. It's a TEAC 80-8, and the heads are gone. I mean they're worn to nothing. Do any of you know where I could possibly get heads for this thing, and maybe how to get them hooked up? Any help would be great.
~james

Hi did you find any parts for your recorder?, if not would you be interested in selling some or all of the parts from your unit..? Bud

Back