Help Choosing Equipment

PumaHD

Dear Community,

I am about to buy a Blue Yeti Pro Microphone, which does both XLR and USB. I wanted to use XLR and then convert that to usb, so it fits into my computer. (That would be higher quality then usb to usb right?) And so I was looking at some adapters, I'd like something of good quality. I'm not sure what THIS does but I believe it turns XLR to USB and will keep the same quality... correct?

I'll only be using the microphone to record my own voice. Also, I'd like to use a overhead stand, could anyone link me to some (cheap ~ around $30) overhead microphone stands? Will simple things like THIS work as an overhead microphone stand?

Thanks!

Dear Community,

I am about to buy a Blue Yeti Pro Microphone, which does both XLR and USB. I wanted to use XLR and then convert that to usb, so it fits into my computer. (That would be higher quality then usb to usb right?) And so I was looking at some adapters, I'd like something of good quality. I'm not sure what THIS does but I believe it turns XLR to USB and will keep the same quality... correct?

I'll only be using the microphone to record my own voice. Also, I'd like to use a overhead stand, could anyone link me to some (cheap ~ around $30) overhead microphone stands? Will simple things like THIS work as an overhead microphone stand?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum! I don't know anything about the MIC but I have several of the On-Stage boom stands and they work really well. Not really heavy enough for road use but pretty good for my use. Thanks:D

here is a link to Sweetwater, they are 24.95 but with free shipping.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MicStdFBoomL/

Last edited:
Any reason why you wouldn't just get a decent XLR mic and a USB interface, rather than the Yeti and try to adapt its XLR to USB? The Yeti Pro is up around $200(US) and a decent XLR mic and interface could just about be had for that money.

If I do that I would need a shotgun microphone, which are much more expensive that the Yeti Pro

If you could link to some very good microphones, XLR possibly cheaper than the Yeti Pro that would be really nice, but remember they have to work as overhead (Which the Yeti Pro does)

Welcome to the forum! I don't know anything about the MIC but I have several of the On-Stage boom stands and they work really well. Not really heavy enough for road use but pretty good for my use. Thanks

here is a link to Sweetwater, they are 24.95 but with free shipping.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MicStdFBoomL/

The Microphone is 1.2 pounds and do you think the stands like the On-Stage boom (Are they long enough for overhead?) will be able to withstand that weight or should I put bean bags or something at the bottom to hold it.

Last edited:
Can you explain why you would need a shotgun mic, but the Yeti would work? I think you may have some misunderstanding of the use of certain mics for a given application.

Okay, well I read shotgun microphones record in one direction, so good for vocals. Please give me some suggestions for microphones I could use -if you do not like the Yeti Pro-.
I will use this for vlogging, if that helps you in any way.

ps: I thought the Yeti Pro would work because it has a setting which makes it act like a Shotgun Mic
thanks!

Okay, well I read shotgun microphones record in one direction, so good for vocals. Please give me some suggestions for microphones I could use -if you do not like the Yeti Pro-.
I will use this for vlogging, if that helps you in any way.

ps: I thought the Yeti Pro would work because it has a setting which makes it act like a Shotgun Mic
thanks!

ok, I am confused. why do you want a shotgun mic? I think these are usually for special applications such as film and video production and are usually designed to work from a distance. if as you say you will only be recording your own voice Mark's advice is sound. Thanks:(

Okay, then I shouldn't need a shotgun mic. Sorry I am a newb at this.

I'm looking for a microphone, around $150-200. Not a usb microphone... XLR is fine. I will be doing vlogs and have it on an overhead stand. Any ideas?

Okay, then I shouldn't need a shotgun mic. Sorry I am a newb at this.

I'm looking for a microphone, around $150-200. Not a usb microphone... XLR is fine. I will be doing vlogs and have it on an overhead stand. Any ideas?

No problem, if you are looking for a dymanic mic the SM-57 or 58 would do, but you have to get pretty close on them. A condenser would be a better choice if you are using it like a OH but it will need phantom power hence the interface route Mark suggested. Here are a couple of condensers

Audio-Technica AT2020 | Sweetwater.com (requires phantom power)

Audio-Technica AT2020 USB | Sweetwater.com (does not require phantom power, runs on USB bus power)

Having just put together that this is the same use as another thread (thanks for the tip Arcaxis) let me withdraw my suggestion of the SM57 or 58. Both would be totally useless doing the sort of distant voice you seem to be asking for.

Either go with the lav/interface suggestion I made in your other thread or save up for a decent shotgun like the Rode NTG. Be aware though that even the best shotgun will pick up some room tone unless you have a treated space to work in--whether or not this bothers you depends on your taste.

Back